Subject: [Cellar] Fwd: Proposal of introducing values to localize the name of a track

From: "Sebastian G. <bastik>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 10:44:57 +0200

Hello,

I remembered that I had sent an email to the matroska development list,
that got no answers as far as I am aware of.

I still think this is a worthwhile idea. Obviously it is just a little gain.

I'm sending this to the cellar mailinglist now, because I think that
this is in the scope of the standardization and might be relevant for
the archivists.

BTW the same issue applies to the file title attribute.

Best Regards,
Sebastian

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Proposal of introducing values to localize the name of a track
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015
From: Sebastian G. <bastik> <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Hello,

this proposal is preceded by my question [0] on the user-list and the
given response [1].

I'm unaware on how the process of changing the specification works, so I
had considered simply writing an email to the development list, but then
I figured that it might go lost as changes might not happen quick.

Instead I wrote a proposal as a text file that should be attached to
this email. I followed a process I'm vaguely familiar with when it comes
to changing the specification. This process is from the Tor Project,
where bigger changes require a written proposal, which is worked on in
its 'draft' state, then considered 'open', while still be update-able,
then it gets 'accepted' or 'rejected'. Is is 'closed' when it is
implemented or when the proposal is superseded e.g. done, but in a
different way.

The Tor Project publishes and stores proposals in GIT once they reach
the status 'open' and beyond. I'm curious how you handle changing the
specification.

The attached proposal basically ask the following:

> Add additional values that take a translation for each 'Name' field
> along with the language that it represents.

Best regards,
Sebastian G. (bastik)

--
[0] http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-users/2015-June/006954.html
[1] http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-users/2015-June/006955.html

---

From: Steve Lhomme <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 17:05:29 +0200

The goal is good. The text attachment is a PITA to comment.

I think the way is done is not correct as it doesn't link a
translation to its text (from what I understood).

Also it's possible to tag track names in all the languages you want
and with a lot more metadata to add. The Track Name element is from a
time where tags didn't exist at all. But the proper way is to use
tags.

2016-10-16 10:44 GMT+02:00 Sebastian G. <bastik>
<[email-masked]>:
> _______________________________________________
> Cellar mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar
>

-- 
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman

---

From: "Sebastian G. <bastik>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 17:41:55 +0200

> The goal is good. The text attachment is a PITA to comment.

Indeed, but it won't be necessary as it appears.

> translation to its text (from what I understood).

There was supposed to be a parent/child relationship.

> time where tags didn't exist at all. But the proper way is to use

Right, that was not obvious to me. Tags are the way to go then.

Best Regards,
Sebastian