Subject: Re: [certid] Fwd: RFC 6125 on TLS Server ID Check

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 06:57:58 -0700

>>        Title:      Representation and Verification of Domain-Based
 >>                    Application Service Identity within Internet Public
 >>                    Key Infrastructure Using X.509 (PKIX) Certificates
 >>                    in the Context of
 >
 > tl;dr.

by which PeterG sez he means..

  "too long; didn't read."

lol, indeed.

Please note, tho..

1. yes, we overlooked having a short subtitle eg "TLS Server ID Check". mea 
culpa.  (

2. the title is verbose in part to facilitate maximizing hits when folks are 
searching/grep'g thru the RFC Index

3. the spec itself is (too) long due to PKIX/X.509 baroqueness and the variety 
of manners in which various protocols have decided to employ it. Nature of the 
beast and all.

But now the spec is done and all this folklore is finally written down in one 
place (hopefully rather than being re-invented over & over in individual 
protocol specs), and we can go pay attention to newer, hopefully more simple 
stuff (famous last words) e.g. DANE.

Thanks again for everyone's help in reviewing and contributing to 6125. By my 
count we have 58 or so ack'd contributors.

thanks again,

=JeffH