Subject: [conex] I-D Action:draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:30:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Congestion Exposure Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ConEx Concepts and Use Cases
	Author(s)       : T. Moncaster, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-01.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2011-03-14

Internet Service Providers (operators) are facing problems where
localized congestion prevents full utilization of the path between
sender and receiver at today's "broadband" speeds.  Operators desire
to control this congestion, which often appears to be caused by a
small number of users consuming a large amount of bandwidth.
Building out more capacity along all of the path to handle this
congestion can be expensive and may not result in improvements for
all users so network operators have sought other ways to manage
congestion.  The current mechanisms all suffer from difficulty
measuring the congestion (as distinguished from the total traffic).

The ConEx Working Group is designing a mechanism to make congestion
along any path visible at the Internet Layer.  This document
describes example cases where this mechanism would be useful.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.