Subject: [core] #9: Section 6 "Resource Discovery" improvements

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:31:50 -0000

#9: Section 6 "Resource Discovery" improvements
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |       Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  coap                |     Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 The following improvements should be made to Section 6:

 - Explain the m-DNS naming stuff in more detail with an example.

 - If URIs are encoded using e.g. 7-bit ASCII encoding, should this HTTP
 Link Header format also be? Would be 15% more compact...

 - Comment on the example from Carsten: These are two generations from the
 link-value production. How are these fit together? CRLF? We need a top-
 level production.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/9>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:59:00 -0000

Comment(by zach@…):

 Further improvements to Section 6 in order to optimize multicast resource
 discovery:

 - Add URL query string support for resource description variables. If a
 query string exists in the /.well-known/resources URL then a response is
 sent only if/with exact match of those variables. For example /.well-
 known/resources?name=Temperature would only return resources with
 name=Temperature.

 - Reduce the overhead of the attribute names in the format. Use maximum 2
 letter attributes such as nm (Name), ct (Content-type), sh (short URL)
 etc.

 - Rules for answering multicast requests to ensure that error messages are
 not returned. This should be done for all multicast requests, not only
 discovery ones.

 - Assign a short URL for /.well-known/resources such as /r (matching the
 short URL scheme in coap-01, whatever it is). The short URL scheme itself
 may also need an attribute.

 - Improve the description of each attribute in the text.

 - Include message exchange examples and different use cases.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/9#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:03:55 +0300

Over at ZigBee IP we have been discussing how to make the CoAP discovery section more complete for real use. I identified the major things still needed in Section 6 which we should aim at including in coap-01 and added them to Ticket #9. Any comments/ideas on features needed for CoAP resource discovery would be welcome. We should aim for this feature to be 100% complete in -01 so we can do testing during the plugfest on it. 

We should also mention in the section that CoAP can be used to multicast discover HTTP web resources as well using Section 6. The fact that they are HTTP resources could be indicated in the URL or the name. 

Zach

-- 
Zach Shelby, Chief Nerd, Sensinode Ltd.
http://zachshelby.org  - My blog "On the Internet of Things"
http://6lowpan.net - My book "6LoWPAN: The Wireless Embedded Internet"
Mobile: +358 40 7796297