Subject: [core] #5: Header improvements

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:57:17 -0000

#5: Header improvements
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |       Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  coap                |     Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 In addition to possible ramifications of the Sub/Not design, there are
 general header optimizations still to be considered and discussed for
 coap-01.

 - If possible, the Method or Code field should be part of the first octet
 of the header. This way a simple comparison of the first octet tells you
 the version and method/code for an incoming header. The variable fields
 such as O and A would be included in the second octet along with any other
 flags.

 - It has been proposed (by Angelo) to move the URI to an integral part of
 the header instead of an option as it is so common.

 - It has also been proposed to include the Content-Type in the beginning
 of the payload (first octet?) instead of as an option. Currently Content-
 Type is 1-2 octets so it would have to be simplified in that case.
 Currently the Content-Type can be left out in the case of text/plain.

 - Can the option header be somewhat simplified? At least the options could
 be fixed-length instead of variable length. If the URI went to the base
 header, then there would no longer be a need for a long length field.
 Instead length could be limited to 32-bits e.g. as it is crazy for a
 constrained node to work with anything larger than that anyways.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/5>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>