Subject: [core] #8: Complete Section 5.3 Proxying

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:29:01 -0000

#8: Complete Section 5.3 Proxying
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |       Owner:  Brian Frank <brian@…>             
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new                               
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                                    
Component:  coap                |     Version:                                    
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Some open issues on Proxying:

   o  Are interception proxies are still required to deal with a)
       sleeping nodes and b) protecting Internet HTTP traffic from
       overwhelming the CoAP network?[[BR]]

    o  But interception proxies breaks end-to-end IP encapsulation and
       requires support at the routing level[[BR]]

    o  Often the interception proxy is the same as the HTTP-to-CoAP
       gateway, so we need to decide how these topics dovetail[[BR]]

    o  In Chopan, the sleeping problem was tackled by having sleeping
       nodes check-in with their proxies while awake, notify model might
       solve this problem to some extent but still have to coordinate the
       sleep/awake times[[BR]]

    o  In Chopan we actually used caching to deal with POSTs, etc because
       otherwise how do you send a request to a sleeping node?  The
       current caching sections are to be exclusive to GETs, but we still
       need to solve the problem for other types if methods.[[BR]]

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/8>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>