Subject: [core] The way to coap-01

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:15:36 +0200

The Internet-Drafts deadline for Maastricht is getting closer 
(2010-07-12 for updates to existing drafts).
Authors of the various coap drafts (wg draft coap-00, coap-misc,
coap-observe) had a conversation yesterday, and we would like to proceed
the following way:

coap-01 will capture the stable parts where we have some
implementation experience, re-juggling the header to both simplify it
a bit and to enable further evolution.  coap-01 will have a complete
spec for the discovery support.  The remaining work on coap-01 will
progress along the tickets in the issue tracker.

coap-misc will stay around as a home for the more experimental parts,
such as TeRIs and the block option.  The intention here is to
frequently re-spin it to capture important new ideas and refine the
experimental sub-specifications.

coap-observe will be our answer to ticket #1.  We will obtain balanced
help from various communities (Apps/HTTP people; SE2.0; the WG itself,
of course) and will further develop the subscribe functionality into a
sub-specification that plugs into -01 the same way -misc does.

At the plugfest, the priority should be on coap-01, but we do want to
test the other drafts to help us decide which parts of them should go
into coap-02.  My personal take is that coap-02 will not change much
with respect to coap-01, but will integrate those parts of the
sub-specifications that are stable and desirable.  But we'll learn
more in Maastricht...

Comments are welcome.

Gruesse, Carsten