Subject: [core] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01

From: Kerry Lynn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:07:31 -0400

Greetings,

Jerry Martocci et al. have submitted an update to "Commercial Building
Application
Requirements":
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-martocci-6lowapp-building-applications-01.txt

and Peter van der Stock et al. and I have submitted "CoAP Utilization
for Building
Control" which is a first attempt at describing a CoAP example for
this application:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01.txt

The links to drafts marked "new" on the core status pages seem to be giving
some difficulty this morning, but the links above should work.

Happy reading,

Kerry Lynn (for the authors)

A new version of I-D, draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01.txt has been
successfully submitted by Peter Van der Stok and posted to the IETF
repository.

Filename:        draft-vanderstok-core-bc
Revision:        01
Title:           CoAP Utilization for Building Control
Creation_date:   2010-07-09
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 18

Abstract:
This I-D describes an example use of the RESTful CoAP protocol for
building control applications such as HVAC and lighting.  A few basic
design assumptions are stated first.  The URI structure is exploited
to define multicast as well as unicast scopes.  RFC 3986 defines the
URI components as (1) a scheme, (2) an authority, used here to locate
the building, area, or node under control, (3) a path, used here to
locate the resource under control, and (4) a query and fragment part,
where fragments are not supported in CoAP.

This proposal supports the view that (1) building control is likely
to move in steps toward all-IP control networks based on the legacy
efforts provided by DALI, LON, BACnet, ZigBee, and other standards,
(2) service discovery is complimentary to resource discovery and
facilitates control network scaling, and (3) the provision of a
reliable group communication protocol is essential to support
building control applications.

The IETF Secretariat.