Subject: [core] Service Discovery for constrained devices

From: "Marco Valente (marcvale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:48:28 +0200

Hello,

Yesterday I had a look to the new draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01. I think the
proposed approach for using DNS-SD in combination with coap is quite
interesting (section 7.), and it looks in line with the CoAP specifications
(section 6.2.). Now a couple of general questions came up to my mind.

First, both section 6.2. of coap-01 and draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01 raise
some attention on service discovery (finding IP address, port and protocol
of an unknown service), while so far the focus of the WG has more been on
resource discovery (fine-grained discovery of resource URIs offered within a
web service). Is the evaluation, selection and deployment of a service
discovery protocol for constrained networks within the scope of this working
group? I have the impression this is a topic which is quite compelling and
may need some design…

Second, would SLP (or a subset of it) represent a valid alternative to
DNS-SD? 

Kind regards,

Marco Valente

http://www.cisco.com/swa/i/logo.gif

Marco Valente

Corporate Development Technology Group
 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]
Phone: +41 21 822 1686
Mobile: +41 79 570 9430

Cisco Systems International Sàrl
Avenue des Uttins 5
1180 Rolle - Vaud
Switzerland
 <http://www.cisco.com> www.cisco.com

Think before you print.Think before you print.

For corporate legal information go to:
 <http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html>
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html