Subject: [core] #21: Resource discovery changes

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:39:20 -0000

#21: Resource discovery changes
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |       Owner:         
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new    
 Priority:  critical            |   Milestone:  coap-02
Component:  coap                |     Version:         
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:         
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 The comments received in the Maastricht meeting, and lots of hallway
 discussions made it clear that we need to take a different approach to the
 resource discovery section in CoRE. This ticket tries to summarize the
 changes needed:

 1. Make hosting a resource discovery end-point optional. Thus also
 removing the text "MUST be supported by a server for resource discovery"
 from Section 4.4. To make discovery work, if a host does enable resource
 discovery, it MUST/SHOULD? be on the defailt port.

 2. Do not mention DNS-SD, trying to explain how these interact just seems
 to be confusing to people.

 3. Do not mention multicast.

 4. Discussions with many people in Maastricht suggested that the Link
 Format definition, MIME request and well-known URI definitions should be
 defined in a separate "CoRE Link Format" draft. Thus the text needed for
 Section 6 of coap-02 would be just a short paragraph pointing to the other
 I-D. This new I-D would do the following:

 - Define the re-use of the nottingham-http-link-header format as a
 payload. Instead of re-defining the ABNF, just CoRE-specific link-
 extensions would be defined.

 - Use of the rel= to be considered, and CoRE specific values to be
 registered.

 - /.well-known/core to be proposed as the URI, as /.well-known/r was
 considered too short to be registered.

 - Request a MIME type for the format.

 - Remove the HTTP and Naming sections.

 - No references to DNS-SD nor multicast.

 - Remove multiple ct= values for now as we have no Accept feature at this
 time.

 - Clarify if the leading / is included (it is).

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/21>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>