Subject: [core] CoAP observe

From: Guido Moritz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:37:14 +0200

Dear Klaus,
Dear Zach,

sifting through the draft-ietf-core-observe-00 I am missing some negotiation
mechanisms for the notification endpoint. Is it assumed that the endpoint
for the notification is the origin address (IP+Port) of the subscription (I
think not realistic in all scenarios)? Moreover there are also scenarios
possible where notifications might be send out via multicast to avoid
multiple notifications to different subscribers on the same resource. 

The negotiation mechanism might be similar to that one for
content-type/encoding in HTTP. So a client says what it would like to have
(the notification endpoint), but a server is capable of denying the request
due to the address and/or proposes a different one (and/or includes the
multicast address the notifications might be to).

I guess this should be added in the "Open Issues" section?!

PS: Some time ago I also posted a hint to WS-Eventing about differentiation
of roles: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg00469.html .
This mechanism might be much too complex for CoAP/CoRE, but provide a
starting point. 

BRGDs,
Guido

---

From: Klaus Hartke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:02:06 +0200

Guido Moritz wrote:
> mechanisms for the notification endpoint. [...]
>

Done.

Klaus