Subject: [core] CoRE Link Format 3.1

From: Guido Moritz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:55:28 +0200

Dear Zach,

I am just working through the draft-ietf-core-link-format-00 and wondering
in section 3.1. about the sentence:
"Implementations not supporting filtering MUST simply  ignore the query
string and return the whole resource."

The I-D does not state if the mechanism is used only via unicast. In
multicast scenarios where I send out a multicast query to find all
temperature sensors (i.e. temperature resource) a client might use the query
filtering feature. But the client was not aware that in the network the
discovery message was dropped, massive of other nodes are online that not
support filtering. And suddenly instead of 10 temperature resources the
clients gets responses from 10.000 other resources as well.

Maybe it would be reasonable to change 3.1 that only if the request was send
unicast, the implementation may ignore the query string and return the whole
resource. 

BRGDs,
Guido Moritz