Subject: [core] coap #26 (new): Expand error code space

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 07:40:39 -0000

#26: Expand error code space

 CoAP is having a problem with useful error codes for special cases.
 Returning a 400 every time something happens tells us very little. This
 ticket is to consider expanding the error space with more useful codes for
 special cases. Examples include:

  * Error: Token Option required by server
  * Error: URI Authority required by server
  * Error: Critical Option not supported

 To avoid collisions with HTTP 40x codes, it has been suggested that CoRE
 reserves its own code space in the Section 11.1 table for CoAP-specific
 error codes in the 240-255 range. These errors would be converted to e.g.
 an HTTP 400 in a proxy.

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |       Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:  coap-03           
Component:  coap                |     Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/26>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: Peter Bigot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:42:54 -0500

To help keep a list of what codes are needed under this topic:

Other examples will be from coap-block section 2.2.  Not sure how many there
should be, but some include:

* Incomplete message (block missing from put/post when last block received)
* Too large (insufficient resources to store pending multi-block
representation)

The text implies these would be the same error code.

That the server is allowed to select a smaller block size than was requested
by the client eliminates the need for a "Path MTU too large" error suggested
in a previous discussion.

Peter

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:40 AM, core issue tracker <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core
>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:34:49 -0000

Changes (by zach@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 - Added to coap-03

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |        Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  enhancement         |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:  coap-03           
Component:  coap                |      Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/26#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>