Subject: [core] draft-thubert-6lo-routing-dispatch-06

From: peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:19:33 +0200

Hi Pascal,

I read your draft, and was pleased to see that I seem to understand much 
better what is going on.

However, I got confused by your use of dispatch.
In RFC 4944, dispatch represents the last 6 bits of the dispatch header.
In the routing-dispatch draft, dispatch seems to refer to whole dispatch 
header (pattern).
Is that correct, or do I miss something? Or am I nit-picking the 
obvious?

In addition, the note just before section 3.1 did not help me much.

Other NIT:
end of page 3: 19 bits -> 19 bytes

Greetings,

Peter

-- 
Peter van der Stok
mailto: [email-masked]
www: www.vanderstok.org
tel NL: +31(0)492474673     F: +33(0)966015248

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:58:52 +0200

peter van der Stok wrote:
> Is that correct, or do I miss something? Or am I nit-picking the obvious?

There is even more confusion:

Figure 1 has it as a six-bit subfield of that first byte.
In Figure 2, it is quite obvious that dispatch is the entire first byte.
A comment at the end of page 9 seems to indicate, that dispatch can have
values no larger than 127, so that would make it seven bits.

I think it is less important how RFC 4944 used the term than how we have
been using it since.  Almost all documentation that I'm aware of talks
about the dispatch byte as the first byte of the IEEE 802.15.4 payload,
including the 6LoWPAN book.  RFC 6282 is quite explicit about that
"dispatch octet" (while still using "octet" for byte).

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Robert Cragie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:55:58 +0100

+1. I think we just have to accept the definition in RFC4944 has
inconsistencies and we should consider it always as a byte,

Robert

On 21 September 2015 at 13:58, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core
>