Subject: [core] #387 (coap-tcp-tls): Should ALPN always be required?

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:34:38 -0000

#387: Should ALPN always be required?

 Section 6.2 of says:

  o  When CoAP is exchanged over TLS port 443 then the "TLS Application
       Layer Protocol Negotiation Extension" [RFC7301] MUST be used to
       allow demultiplexing at the server-side unless out-of-band
       information ensures that the client only interacts with a server
       that is able to demultiplex CoAP messages over port 443.  This
       would, for example, be true for many IoT deployments where
       clients are pre-configured to only ever talk with specific
       servers.

 QUESTION: Shouldn't we simply always require ALPN?  The protocol should
 not be defined in such a way that it depends on some undefined pre-
 configuration mechanism. --cabo

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-coap-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  other technical          |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:
Component:  coap-tcp-tls             |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/387>
core <https://tools.ietf.org/core/>