Subject: [core] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on charter-ietf-core-01-03: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 14:59:15 -0700

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-core-01-03: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-core/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm fine with rechartering CORE with roughly this charter (I'm a Yes),
but just to make sure I understand, is it correct that the completed
portfolio would include

CoAP over HTTP (I didn't check the mapping RFC, but I'm guessing this
includes HTTPS), and
CoAP over TLS, and
CoAP over TCP

?

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 23:07:37 +0100

The mapping draft (which has completed WGLC, with an update now
available) discusses mapping *between* CoAP and HTTP, which both are
REST protocols that embrace proxies (i.e., that mapping is fundamentally
already there, but there are some details to look at, which the document
is about).  There is no need for CoAP over HTTP.

> CoAP over TCP

Indeed, completion of this is a hot work item now, with OCF already
using a version of the document in their spec, and OMA very interested.
Reasons include easier NAT traversal, as well as usage within backend
server farms.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 17:11:44 -0500

Hi, Carsten,

> Reasons include easier NAT traversal, as well as usage within backend

Thank you for catching me up, of course!

Spencer