Subject: [core] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-core-block-19.txt

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 18:40:35 +0100

This update has editorial changes covering the ops-dir comments (thank
you, Qin!) as well as the late discussion about security considerations
in e2e security mechanisms that may want to protect block-wise transfers
(thank you, Göran!).

Grüße, Carsten

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-core-block-19.txt
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 10:37:10 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>, Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>,
      Dr. Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-core-block-19.txt
has been successfully submitted by Carsten Bormann and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-ietf-core-block
Revision:	19
Title:		Block-wise transfers in CoAP
Document date:	2016-03-21
Group:		core
Pages:		33
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-core-block-19.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-block/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-block-19
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-core-block-19

Abstract:
   CoAP is a RESTful transfer protocol for constrained nodes and
   networks.  Basic CoAP messages work well for the small payloads we
   expect from temperature sensors, light switches, and similar
   building-automation devices.  Occasionally, however, applications
   will need to transfer larger payloads -- for instance, for firmware
   updates.  With HTTP, TCP does the grunt work of slicing large
   payloads up into multiple packets and ensuring that they all arrive
   and are handled in the right order.

   CoAP is based on datagram transports such as UDP or DTLS, which
   limits the maximum size of resource representations that can be
   transferred without too much fragmentation.  Although UDP supports
   larger payloads through IP fragmentation, it is limited to 64 KiB
   and, more importantly, doesn't really work well for constrained
   applications and networks.

   Instead of relying on IP fragmentation, this specification extends
   basic CoAP with a pair of "Block" options, for transferring multiple
   blocks of information from a resource representation in multiple
   request-response pairs.  In many important cases, the Block options
   enable a server to be truly stateless: the server can handle each
   block transfer separately, with no need for a connection setup or
   other server-side memory of previous block transfers.

   In summary, the Block options provide a minimal way to transfer
   larger representations in a block-wise fashion.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:46:40 -0700

> in e2e security mechanisms that may want to protect block-wise transfers

Thanks for getting that out.  I've put the document into IESG
Evaluation and put it on the first telechat after IETF 95 (currently
planned for 21 April).  Alexey will put the last coat of varnish on it
then.

Barry