Subject: Re: [core] Introducing Server Name Identifiers in Certificates

From: "Fossati, Thomas (Nokia - GB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 12:43:06 +0000

On 29/02/2016 10:03, "core on behalf of Hannes Tschofenig"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>working on the DTLS/TLS profile document Thomas and I realized that
>there are some challenges when certificates are used for IoT devices.
>For this reason we published <draft-fossati-core-certmode-rd-names>
>already early 2015.
>
>When Thomas presented the draft at IETF #92 it triggered a fair amount
>of discussion and we got lots of good feedback from several CORE working
>group participants.
>
>Some time passed and the work on the DTLS/TLS profile draft finished but
>we haven't forgotten the feedback and have now re-written the document.
>
>Here is the link to the new document:
>https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fossati-core-server-name-id-00
>
>The easiest way is to read Section 1 ("Introduction") and Section 8
>("Example") to see what we are trying to accomplish.

In particular, we are trying to understand what kind of non-DNS
environment we need to cater for.  Resource Directory is an obvious
candidate -- do we need more than that?

Cheers, t