Subject: [core] Kathleen Moriarty's Yes on draft-ietf-core-object-security-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 06:33:47 -0800

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-object-security-09: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-object-security/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I strongly support an object level security solution to provide end-to-end
security when traffic traverses proxies or is relayed in the case of many IoT
scenarios.  There are billions of devices in the IoT space with different
constraints and operating requirements.  As such, I support and appreciate your
work on this draft.  I had already known that this work was decoupled from
EDHOC and appreciate that it can now be used either with TLS, EDHOC, or some
other transport security protocol to offer object level security and protection
in transit for data.

Thanks for addressing the OpsDir review a couple of weeks ago that pointed out
where the work for provisioning the master secret, use of pre-shared keys in
some scenarios, the use of profiles for algorithm agility, and the candidate
key exchange protocols are done and other questions on security considerations
and MTI.  Since EKR's review pointed some of these same things out, having the
pointers more clearly stated in the draft would be beneficial to the reader and
implementer.  Perhaps a longer discussion is needed in the draft. Where there
are still multiple candidate drafts, you may not want to name one yet, but
rather point to existing work.  Thanks again!