Subject: [core] Protocol Action: 'Too Many Requests Response Code for the Constrained Application Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:28:55 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Too Many Requests Response Code for the Constrained Application
   Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs/

Technical Summary:

   A CoAP server can experience temporary overload because one or more
   clients are sending requests to the server at a higher rate than
   the server is capable or willing to handle.  This document defines
   a new CoAP Response Code for a server to indicate that a client
   should reduce the rate of requests.

Working Group Summary:

  While this seemed to be a simple housekeeping document (based on other
  SDOs' requests) at first, the WG process did unearth a few fine points
  that have been taken care of in the current document.  WGLC was passed
  July 16, 2018 (right before the CoRE meeting in Montreal), there was
  no dissent on advancing this.

Document Quality:

  While no formal review was sent to the list, both Jim Schaad and Klaus
  Hartke sent comments based on an in-depth review and later indicated
  that their comments had been resolved in -04.  Implementers indicated
  intent to implement this.  No formal languages in the document.

Personnel:

  Shepherd: Carsten Bormann
  Responsible AD: Alexey Melnikov