Subject: [core] Last Call: <draft-ietf-core-echo-request-tag-11.txt> (CoAP: Echo, Request-Tag, and Token Processing) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 22:06:28 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Constrained RESTful Environments WG
(core) to consider the following document: - 'CoAP: Echo, Request-Tag, and
Token Processing'
  <draft-ietf-core-echo-request-tag-11.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-12-02. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies enhancements to the Constrained Application
   Protocol (CoAP) that mitigate security issues in particular use
   cases.  The Echo option enables a CoAP server to verify the freshness
   of a request or to force a client to demonstrate reachability at its
   claimed network address.  The Request-Tag option allows the CoAP
   server to match block-wise message fragments belonging to the same
   request.  This document updates RFC7252 with respect to the client
   Token processing requirements, forbidding non-secure reuse of Tokens
   to ensure binding of response to request when CoAP is used with a
   security protocol, and with respect to amplification mitigation,
   where the use of Echo is now recommended.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-echo-request-tag/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.