Subject: [core] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-04.txt

From: Marco Tiloca <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 09:15:13 +0100

Hello CoRE,

We have recently submitted an update for the draft "Observe
Notifications as CoAP Multicast Responses".

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-04

The document describes how a CoAP server can send Observe notifications
over multicast, and how Group OSCORE can be used to protect such
notifications. The proposed approach is especially relevant for, but not
limited to, the "Pub-Sub and Multicast" use case elaborated during the
Hallway Discussion at IETF 104.

This update especially includes:

1) Improved and extensible encoding of the phantom request within the
informative response, now split into transport-independent and
transport-specific information.

2) Improved and optimized mechanism for the rough counting of alive
clients, with additional pseudo-code provided in Appendix B.

3) Support for intermediaries, with or without end-to-end security,
including interaction examples in Appendix C and Appendix D.

4) Editorial improvements and section reorganization.

Comments are very welcome!

Best,
/Marco

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for
draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-04.txt
Date: 	Mon, 02 Nov 2020 09:54:50 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Christian Amsuess <[email-masked]>, Francesca Palombini
<[email-masked]>, Rikard Hoeglund
<[email-masked]>, Marco Tiloca <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D,
draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-04.txt
has been successfully submitted by Marco Tiloca and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications
Revision: 04
Title: Observe Notifications as CoAP Multicast Responses
Document date: 2020-11-02
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 62
URL:
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Farchive%2Fid%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-04.txt&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C44e2df4907354f99dba408d87f586675%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637399365531329608%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&amp;sdata=0sdhsg2lYVgptARxqJAZ9o5O9b3amXwSBPFNNnEn5rg%3D&amp;reserved=0
Status:
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C44e2df4907354f99dba408d87f586675%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637399365531329608%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&amp;sdata=9DSC4vYR0stOduVyFM3%2B%2Fhuc5cF7mofbZQ3BKZ%2FcwzM%3D&amp;reserved=0
Htmlized:
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fhtml%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C44e2df4907354f99dba408d87f586675%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637399365531329608%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&amp;sdata=fnTVRhJcbiLGHNj6wy8PK1jZBSz1vxPScEVhdNdD6ls%3D&amp;reserved=0
Htmlized:
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftools.ietf.org%2Fhtml%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-04&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C44e2df4907354f99dba408d87f586675%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637399365531329608%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&amp;sdata=oaFVdZeL4aKM1158lr0ffOZKFOnKF%2B5S81tI60xOSWw%3D&amp;reserved=0
Diff:
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Frfcdiff%3Furl2%3Ddraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-04&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C44e2df4907354f99dba408d87f586675%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637399365531329608%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&amp;sdata=OHfBx3enju2akgqf4r2WuYlPtLbUKD%2Fx%2B5ds7K1KNJo%3D&amp;reserved=0

Abstract:
The Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) allows clients to
"observe" resources at a server, and receive notifications as unicast
responses upon changes of the resource state. In some use cases,
such as based on publish-subscribe, it would be convenient for the
server to send a single notification to all the clients observing a
same target resource. This document defines how a CoAP server sends
observe notifications as response messages over multicast, by
synchronizing all the observers of a same resource on a same shared
Token value. Besides, this document defines how Group OSCORE can be
used to protect multicast notifications end-to-end from the CoAP
server to the multiple observer clients.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat