Subject: Re: [Dbound] organizing bar bof (was: Are there any deliverables?)

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 15:30:33 -0700

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 10:56:14PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
 >>
 >> We'll probably do a bar BOF in Toronto, since Toronto is reputed to
 >> have many bars.  Andrew may be able to offer insight here.
 >
 > Supposing I were able to suggest such a bar, when are people likely to
 > be available?  I currently still appear to have part of Sunday evening
 > after the reception open, and I can think of a place not terribly far
 > from the meeting hotel that, on Sunday night, might actually be able
 > to accommodate a crowd of us such that we could have a bar BoF in a
 > bar.  I might even be willing to buy a whiteboard and easel to cart
 > along.

sounds good to me.  Sun night is a possibility for me, as are tue/wed/thu AFAIK.

I'm arriving early Sunday.

=JeffH

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 20:32:09 -0400

Tues night works for me.  (Sun turns out to be a mess.)

I _bet_ that on a Tues night, a group of us could get together at
http://www.cestwhat.com/ and get a big enough space to seat the
relevant numbers.  If we asked nicely, we might be able to get it
quiet enough that we could all hear each other.  The food's not bad.
The beer tends to be pretty good.  If you're a whisk[e]y drinker, you
could also do worse.  Not a good wine bar.  If I arranged this, how
many people would show?  If it's more than 10, we'll have a problem,
because I don't think we'll be able to hear each other unless we find
a room in which to hold it.  C'est What actually has such a room, but
I don't know what it'll cost to rent it.  I can find out if I hear
back from 10 of you in the next 24 hours.

A

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 03:30:33PM -0700, =JeffH wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Dbound mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dbound

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jul 2014 03:45:10 -0000

Count me in, and thanks for taking care of it.

R's,
John

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 08:37:44 -0400

> Count me in, and thanks for taking care of it.

Ditto.

Joe

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 08:07:47 -0700

On 7/14/2014 5:32 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> If I arranged this, how
> many people would show?

+1

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:58:30 -0700

On Jul 14, 2014, at 5:32 PM, Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If I arranged this, how many people would show?  

+1

Regards,
-drc

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 08:04:36 -0700

+1

d/

---

From: manning bill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 18:53:49 -0700

if there is still room…

/bill
PO Box 12317
Marina del Rey, CA 90295
310.322.8102

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:26:56 -0400

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 08:32:09PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> quiet enough that we could all hear each other.

I've arranged for this.  I've heard from 11 people (including me) so far.

C'est What has agreed to give us a room ("the Library") with the music
turned down.  Both food and drink will be cash & carry at the bar --
we won't have service in the room.  They'll set us up for 20 people,
because in my experience these side meetings tend to collect
additional people.  There are strict requirements that we not exceed
30 people, so I'd really appreciate it if people who are planning to
come keep letting me know.  They appear not to be charging for this
room, so I hope you all tip well.

C'est What is a few blocks east along Front Street, which is where the
front entrance of the Fairmont Royal York faces (there's a giant pit
there right now).  C'est What is in the basement of a building on the
south side of Front, on the east side of Church.  (In Toronto, for
practical purposes, the lake is always south of you.)  Here's a map:
https://goo.gl/maps/J0BGO.

Does it seem useful if I go to a stationers' and pick up a small
portable whiteboard?  

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Casey Deccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:32:36 -0400

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> ...
I'd really appreciate it if people who are planning to
> come keep letting me know.

I plan to attend.  Thanks for setting it up!

Casey

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:34:48 -0400

Time?

Oh, and I just bought a big flipchart thingie from Staples. Should
still have a fair number of pages free on Tuesday, can bring it along.
Otherwise, whiteboards are ~$40CAD, and markers for ~$7 CAD.

W

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:38:31 -0400

Oops, forgot to say, I told them 19:30, which gives us time to get
there after the 18:40 end of the previous session.  

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:49:15 -0700

> Otherwise, whiteboards are ~$40CAD, and markers for ~$7 CAD.

What about, instead, using a shared online venue?

editpad or google-something or...?

d/

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:58:54 -0400

> What about, instead, using a shared online venue?

C'est What does have wifi access, but I bet it can't stand up to even
10 IETFers at the same time. 

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Jothan Frakes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 21:34:19 -0700

Hi-

Can't attend the Toronto IETF due to a schedule conflict.  Have a great
meeting, though.  Sorry I will miss this bar bof

-jothan

-- 

Jothan Frakes
Tel: +1.206-355-0230

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:33:22 -0400

Hi all,

A reminder that we have our bar BoF this evening.

> I've arranged for this.  I've heard from 11 people (including me) so far.

By my current count, we've got 15 or 16 responses (someone's "maybe").
If you're now planning to come, _please_ let me know, so that I can
warn the bar if we're running up against our planned numbers.

Directions are in the quoted mail below.  The reservation is for 19:30
Toronto time today, but if you show up a little early I bet they won't
mind.  Remember that we won't have table service, so if you are going
to be hungry you'll likely want to take that into consideration.  

See you this evening.

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]