Subject: [Dbound] fyi: HTTP cookie processing wrt "public suffixes"

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 16:55:03 -0800

just fyi/fwiw, I wrote this up..

   [http-state] HTTP cookie processing wrt "public suffixes"
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/http-state/current/msg01443.html

..which is of at least tangential interest in this (dbound) context. 
Working on the terminology section helped clarify to me (at least) some of 
the subtle differences between what are precisely top-level domains and what 
are, in the context of cookies and other browser internals, _not_ top-level 
domains but we are asked to treat them as such in said contexts.

e.g. see: https://publicsuffix.org/learn/  ("uses" section):
...
  Firefox

     Restricting cookie setting
     Restricting the setting of the document.domain property
     Sorting in the download manager
     Sorting in the cookie manager
     Searching in history
     Domain highlighting in the URL bar

  Chromium/Google Chrome (pre-processing, parser)

     Restricting cookie setting
     Determining whether entered text is a search or a website URL
...

..and note, just for fun, that the uses across these user agents isn't the 
same.

HTH,

=JeffH