Subject: [dbound] New draft revision / IETF discussion

From: Casey Deccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 16:03:25 -0400

Hi all,

Revision 03 of draft-deccio-dbound-organizational-domain-policy has been
uploaded:

Name:        draft-deccio-dbound-organizational-domain-policy
> Revision:    03
> Title:        Organizational Domains and Use Policies for Domain Names
> Document date:    2016-07-01
> Group:        Individual Submission
> Pages:        22
> URL:
> https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-deccio-dbound-organizational-domain-policy-03.txt
> Status:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-deccio-dbound-organizational-domain-policy/
> Htmlized:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-deccio-dbound-organizational-domain-policy-03
> Diff:
> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-deccio-dbound-organizational-domain-policy-03
>

A summary of the draft is below, including changes specific to the -03
revision.  Please note the text that addresses the recent focus proposed by
the working group chairs on the mailing list.

This draft provides:
 - A mechanism by which the DNS namespace domain names can be organized
hierarchically into organizational domains--independent of DNS
zone/administrative boundaries--with organizational boundaries.
Organizational boundary delineation is specified and detected in the DNS
using a special namespace convention for that purpose (using the "_odup"
label), and the protocol is specified in the draft.

- A placeholder for directives with which future policy information can be
specified.  Unlike previous revisions of the draft, which spelled out
directives, this version only spells out one (and even that one could be
removed, if desired).  This gives more focus to the organizational domain
aspect of the mechanism, which focus was proposed by the working group
chairs and generally agreed upon by the working group, on the mailing list
recently.

- Backwards compatibility with existing mechanisms--especially the Public
Suffix List.  The current mechanism can be derived from the Public Suffix
List, distributing policies among top-level domains.  Similarly, using the
+fetch directive, a Public Suffix List can be derived from policies
distributed among the top-level domains (and really from any list of
domains with policies that one might want to be consolidated into a single
file).

- Flexibility to extend for future provisions (including additional policy
directives and cross-domain relationships).

- Performance optimizations from previous revisions.  The ODUP resolution
(lookup) mechanism has been been simplified, including requiring a reduced
number of DNS queries in common cases.

Code to demonstrate the functionality of the mechanism described in this
draft is here:

https://github.com/verisign/odup

Additionally, some colleagues of mine have integrated ODUP logic into
OpenDMARC (i.e., to replace the Public Suffix List lookup) and the Mozilla
Firefox cookie service as proof-of-concept functionality.  The code/setup
are not publicly available at this time, but I would be happy to demo to
interested parties.

While DBOUND is not scheduled to meet in Berlin, I would suggest we have an
informal get-together.  Certainly addressing the chairs' recent request
about working focus would be an order of discussion.  Additionally, I would
be interested in describing the current state of this draft and how the
mechanism can be used to address DBOUND-related problems.

Cheers,
Casey