Subject: [dcp] DCP and IPv6?

From: "Walter R. Rice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:56:06 -0400

Hello,

Has there been any consideration as to how DCP will function in an IPv6
environment; specifically if any of its features would no longer be
relevant, or would break?

Thanks,

Walter Rice
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
dcp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcp

---

From: Derek Fawcus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:57:36 +0100

> relevant, or would break?

Yeah - The header checksum is inappropriate.

At the moment it appears that the checksum is just over the DCP data,
and does not include any pseudo header.  Given the lack of an IP header
checksum in IPv6,  the DCP header checksum should really be calculated
in a similar fashion to the TCP/UDP header checksum - including a psuedo
header.  So for IPv6 the header pseudo header should be as shown in
section 8.1 of RFC 2460.

The mobility part of the DCP draft obviously won't work ggiven that it
embeds an IPv4 address.

DF

---

From: Eddie Kohler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:50:02 -0700

Hey Derek,

> The mobility part of the DCP draft obviously won't work ggiven that it

Thanks for pointing out these issues! We've modified the draft to (a)
include a network-level pseudoheader in the DCCP checksum calculation, and
(b) embed an Address Family number in the DCCP-Move packet, with Old
Address taking that family, so that the packet supports both IPv4 and IPv6.

Anybody think of any other DCCP-IPv6 issues?

Eddie