Subject: [dcp] WG Action: Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (dccp) (fwd)

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:51:55 -0700

It's official: we're a working group!  Note the wrong mail list info on the 
announcement.  I'm working on getting that fixed and will advise this group 
about the resolution when it happens.

--aaron

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 09:10:49 AM -0400
From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce
Subject: WG Action: Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (dccp)

A new IETF working group has been created in the Transport Area.
Please contact the Area Directors or the WG chair for more
information.

Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (dccp)
-------------------------------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group

 Chair(s):
     Aaron Falk  <[email-masked]>

 Transport Area Director(s):
     Scott Bradner  <[email-masked]>
     Allison Mankin  <[email-masked]>

 Transport Area Advisor:
     Allison Mankin  <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       (un)subscribe
     Archive:
www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/dccp/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

The Datagram Control Protocol working group is chartered to develop and
standardize the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP). DCCP is a
minimal general purpose transport-layer protocol providing only two
core functions:

- the establishment, maintenance and teardown of an unreliable packet
  flow.

- congestion control of that packet flow.

Within the constraints of providing these core functions, DCCP aims to
be a general purpose protocol, minimizing the overhead of packet header
size or end-node processing as much as possible. Therefore, DCCP is as
simple as possible, and as far as reasonably possible, it should avoid
providing higher-level transport functionality. DCCP will provide a
congestion-controlled, unreliable packet stream, without TCP's
reliability or in-order delivery semantics. Additional unicast,
flow-based application functionality can be layered over DCCP.

SCOPE

Drafts for DCCP, and several associated congestion control IDs, already
exist. The first task before the working group will be an abbreviated
functional requirement validation of those drafts. There are two
possible outcomes:

1) The current DCCP draft is declared suitable for further work, with
   some areas listed for possible extension.

2) The current DCCP draft is declared unsuitable for further work, and
   more formal functional requirement exploration begins.

Prior to the final development of the protocol, the working group will
investigate areas of functionality that should be integrated into DCCP
because they are difficult or impossible to layer above it. These areas
include security and multi-homing/mobility, at a minimum. The protocol
will be for both IPv4 and IPv6. It will not encompass multicast. It is
strictly a unicast transport.

For security, the working group will endeavor to ensure that DCCP
incorporates good non-cryptographic mechanisms that make it resistant
to denial-of-service attacks on DCCP connections and DCCP servers. A
related topic that will be explored is whether DCCP can be a candidate
to replace UDP in the transport of security management protocols such
as IKE and JFK.

The working group will also investigate DCCP's relationship with RTP
(the Real-time Transport Protocol).

Once the DCCP specification has stabilized, the WG will produce a
document providing guidance to potential users of DCCP. The precise
form of this document will be determined by WG discussion, but it might
include example APIs, an applicability statement, or other forms of
guidance about appropriate usage of DCCP.

 Goals and Milestones:

   SEP 02       Publish summary of required protocol functions/requirements

   DEC 02       Decision to build on proposed DCCP protocol, alternate
                protocol, or quit and go home

   APR 03       Publish DCCP protocol as proposed standard (including
                applicability statement)

   APR 03       Publish TCP equivalent congestion profile as proposed
                standard

   APR 03       Publish TCP Friendly Rate Control congestion profile as
                Proposed Standard

   JUN 03       Publish document providing guidance to users of DCCP as an
                Informational RFC.

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------

_______________________________________________
dcp mailing list: [email-masked]
archives: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcp
project: http://www.icir.org/kohler/dcp/