Subject: [Dcrup] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 05:27:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DKIM Crypto Update WG of the IETF.

        Title           : A new cryptographic signature method for DKIM
        Author          : John Levine
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto-12.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2018-06-06

Abstract:
   This document adds a new signing algorithm to DKIM, ed25519-sha256.
   DKIM verifiers are required to implement this algorithm.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto-12
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "A. Schulze" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 10:42:31 +0200

>    DKIM verifiers are required to implement this algorithm.

Hello,

there is some confusion in the a= tag in DKIM signatures.

I assume: "a=..." refer an algorithm, "k=..." refer a key

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto-12#section-4.1
define a new value for the a tag (algorithm) in DKIM signatures as "a=ed25519"
with a reference to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6376#section-3.5
*there* values for a= are defined as rsa-sha1 and rsa-sha256

Reader (including myself) may expect the new value is "a=ed25519-sha256"

OK, nobody like "ed25519-sha1" so defining a=ed25519 may be  
sufficient, but confusing.
On the other side,  
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto-12#section-5
mention the algorithm again as "ed25519-sha256"

Andreas

---

From: "A. Schulze" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 14:02:33 +0200

> Reader (including myself) may expect the new value is "a=ed25519-sha256"

Got it.
The Draft define sig-a-tag-k ...

> _______________________________________________
> Dcrup mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcrup