Subject: [Dime] WG Action: Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:40:46 -0500

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Operations and Management
Area. For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or 
the WG Chairs.

+++

Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
===========================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

WG Chair(s): 
Acting: John Loughney <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>
David Kessens <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dime/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Diameter Maintanence and Extensions WG will focus on maintenance
and extensions to the Diameter protocol required to enable its use
in applications such as IP telephony and Local Area Network
authentication, authorization and accounting.

The IETF has recently completed work on the Diameter Base protocol.
There is on-going work on defining RADIUS extensions. The work done
in the DiME WG will ensure that work done in RADext is also
available for Diameter.

The immediate goals of the DiME working group are to address the
following issues:

- Maintaining and/or progressing, along the standards track, the
Diameter procotol and Diameter Applications. Every revised
document to be "maintained" requires explicit approval before
it will be accepted as a WG document.

- An informational RFC on a Diameter API.

- Diameter Application design guidelines. This document will
provide guidelines for design of new Diameter Applications.
It will detail when to consider reusing an existing
application and when to develop a new application. Interaction
between vendor & SDO specific extensions and applications
will be covered.

- Diameter QoS application. This document will develop a new
Diameter application for supporting QoS in AAA deployments.
The NSIS WG will be consulted on proper design of QoS attributes.

- Diameter URI. RFC 3588 defines an AAA URI which has some known
problems. A document revising the AAA URI as a specific Diameter
URI will be developed.

- Diameter extensions for MIPv6. This may include support for
Mobile IP extensions, like FMIP; as well as support for MIP
bootstrapping.

Additionally, AAA systems require interoperability in order to
work. Uncontrolled extensibility is not a mechanism for
interoperability. Therefore, the working group, along with the
AD, will need to evaluate any potential extensions and require
verification that the proposed extension is needed. Coordination
with other IETF working groups and other SDOs will used to
ensure this.

Milestones

Mar 06 Submit Diameter API to IESG as an information RFC.
May 06 Submit Diameter URI to IESG as an information RFC.
Sep 06 Submit Diameter QoS Application to IESG as a Proposed
Standard.
Sep 06 Submit Diameter Application Design Guidelines to IESG
as an informational RFC.
Jan 07 Submit Diameter Base to IESG as a Draft Standard

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime