Subject: [Dime] answer routing

From: Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:25:10 -0500

RFC 3588 talks about request routing but AFAICT it doesn't really talk 
about how answer messages are routed. Given that request failover is 
triggered by connection failures I concluded that answers are always 
sent on the transport connection that the request was received on and if 
that connection has failed the server just doesn't send the answer. It's 
recommended somewhere that the server hang on the answer for a period of 
time in case the request is retransmitted to the same server on a new 
connection but the server would not send the answer on a new connection 
without first receiving a retransmission of the request on that connection.

The other piece of supporting evidence is that answer messages do not 
contain Destination-Host (3588, 6.2) which I think would be a reasonable 
thing to expect if answers were routed in a way similar to requests.

Is this the correct interpretation? Did I miss an explicit statement to 
this effect anywhere in the base spec?

Thanks,
Anders

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime