Subject: [Dime] NAS-Filter-Rule (was: review of draft-ietf-radext-ieee802-01.txt)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:49:26 +0200

Hi all,

>The RADEXT WG charter requires that Diameter compatibility issues be 
>examined as part of each work item.   Extending the RFC 3588 
>NAS-Filter-Rule 
>syntax does bring up Diameter compatibility issues.  This was 
>pointed out in Issue 130, which was filed in August 2005.
>
>As I understand it, the DIME WG is being chartered to produce 
>RFC 3588bis, so one possibility is that they will consider a 
>NAS-Filter-Rule syntax revision as part of that effort.

I'm copying the DiME WG.  Is there interest in the Diameter community
in revising the NAS-Filter-Rule?  For RADIUS, it is currently defined
here:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-radext-ieee802-01.txt

I suggest that if this is of interest to both RADIUS & Diameter, we 
come-up with a common format that would be usable in both protocols.

John

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 16:16:08 -0500

Bert Wijnen writes...
 
>   If WG A cannot reach (or has trouble reaching)
>   consensus/agreement on a specific work item,
>   then what arguments do we have that WG B
>   can do better?

None.

However, I don't think that the issue is that the RADEXT WG cannot come
to consensus on a technical approach as much as it is the fact that a
RADEXT draft is proposing to extend the existing Diameter
NAS-Filter-Rule syntax.  There are at least two problems here: (1)
RADIUS is not supposed to be a super-set of Diameter in any of its
features, and (2) failing to address a corresponding extension in
Diameter causes difficulty for the translation gateway process.  It was
suggested that, if an extension to the Diameter NAS-Filter-Rule is
required for use in RADIUS, that we actually extend the Diameter
NAS-Filter-Rule, rather that defining a separate RADIUS-NAS-Filter-Rule
attribute and syntax.