Subject: RE: [Dime] RE: RADIUS to Diameter gateways & extended attributes

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:11:01 +0100

Bernand,

> >  o how to provide Diameter's request redirecting on RADIUS side
> >    (redirect-host etc + the functionality)
> 
> I was unaware of this request.  I think that satisfying it 

Hmm.. I think 3GPP has not asked RADEXT to do anything on request
redirecting, mostly because of the reasons you pointed out below.
It is just an open issue for 3GPP under the same topic and as far
as I know it will also stay as their headache.

However, I wouldn't mind having some documented guidelines or facts
on this as I think 3GPP might not be the only SDO / entity having
the same issue.

> will be difficult 
> since RADIUS (unlike Diameter) requires pre-set credentials 
> and does not 
> support DNS-based location of servers.   Therefore 
> redirection support alone 
> will not make this work; it is necessary to enhance the 
> RADIUS protocol 
> substantially.

Cheers,
	Jouni

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 03:17:48 +0200

Jouni,

>Hmm.. I think 3GPP has not asked RADEXT to do anything on 
>request redirecting, mostly because of the reasons you pointed out
below.
>It is just an open issue for 3GPP under the same topic and as 
>far as I know it will also stay as their headache.
>
>However, I wouldn't mind having some documented guidelines or 
>facts on this as I think 3GPP might not be the only SDO / 
>entity having the same issue.
>
>> will be difficult
>> since RADIUS (unlike Diameter) requires pre-set credentials and does
not
>> support DNS-based location of servers.   Therefore redirection
support alone
>> will not make this work; it is necessary to enhance the RADIUS 
>> protocol substantially.

So, what is it that you want, in ways of guidelines - why it won't work?

John