Subject: [Dime] Re: Diameter MIPv6 Application

From: "Junghoon Jee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 18:40:12 +0900

Hi Hannes,

Great works!

For working on the integrated scenario,
the following I-D which is also based on the Franck Le's draft would
be helpful.

Maybe, I hope you would get hints from the following I-D, for
rationale 
of new Diameter Application regarding MIPv6 bootstrapping based on 
the feature of local or home agent assignments which is not directly
related with 
the previous existing Diameter Application, like Diameter EAP.

"Diameter Mobile IPv6 Bootstrapping Application using PANA", 
http://jhjee.vsix.net/draft-jee-mip6-bootstrap-pana-01.txt

Thanks,
-Junghoon

--------------------------------------------	
Hi all, 

we have compiled two Diameter documents that provide the backend
solution for the split & the integrated scenario. 

Please find the document here:

Mobile IPv6 Bootstrapping using Diameter in the Split Scenario

Abstract

   In Mobile IPv6 deployment a need for an interaction between the
Home
   Agent, the AAA infrastructure of the Mobile Service Provider (MSP)
   and the Mobility Service Authorizer (MSA) has been identified.
This
   document provides a description of the functionality that allows to
   meet the goals outlined in the MIPv6 AAA Goals document.

http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/drafts/draft-tschofenig-dime-mip6-split-00.t
xt

Diameter MIPv6 Application for the Integrated Scenario

Abstract

   A Mobile IPv6 node requires a home agent address, a home address,
and
   IPsec security association with its home agent before it can start
   utilizing Mobile IPv6 service.  RFC 3775 requires that some or all
of
   these parameters are statically configured.  Ongoing work aims to
   make this information dynamically available to the mobile node.  An
   important aspect of the Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping solution is to
   support interworking with existing authentication, authorization
and
   accounting infrastructure.  This document defines a Diameter
   application to facilitate Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping for the
   integrated scenario.

http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/drafts/draft-tschofenig-dime-mip6-integrated
-0
0.txt

Before I started working on the latter document I contact Franck Le
since he was the author/editor of the previous Diameter MIPv6
Application document. It turned out that the previously written
document
had a different focus than today's bootstrapping activites. Anyway, I
got in touch with Franck to work on the document with him but he moved
to CMU and has no time for it anymore. Maybe the other co-authors are
still interested in this subject - but I haven't received a reply yet.
I
am still looking for some co-authors....
 
Ciao
Hannes

http://jhjee.vsix.net/draft-jee-mip6-bootstrap-pana-01.txt

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:56:39 +0100

Hi junghoon,

> the previous existing Diameter Application, like Diameter EAP.

 I don't think we have to reinvent a bootstrapping mechanism for mip6
 since it was the goal of the DT. From my point of view, the document
 should be aligned on
 draft-ietf-mip6-boostrapping-integrated-dhc-00.txt.

 Wether we need new Diameter Messages (I don't think that's the good
 option based on my recent mail posted here) or just add AVPs to
 NASREQ/EAP may need more discussions.

 In both case, requesting an Application-ID seems necessary for the 'M'
 bit support.

 My 2 cents,

 Julien Bournelle

-- 
julien.bournelle at int-evry.fr

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:51:20 +0100

Hi Junghoon,

thanks for your response. We will certainly take a look at your draft as 
well.

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: "Junghoon Jee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:09:02 +0900

Hi Julien,
Please see my inline replies. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Julien Bournelle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 6:57 PM
> To: Junghoon Jee
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Dime] Re: Diameter MIPv6 Application
> 
> 
> Hi junghoon,
> 
> > For working on the integrated scenario, the following I-D which is

> > also based on the Franck Le's draft would be helpful.
> > 
> > rationale of new Diameter Application regarding MIPv6
bootstrapping 
> > based on the feature of local or home agent assignments 
> which is not 
> > directly related with the previous existing Diameter 
> Application, like 
> > Diameter EAP.
> 
>  I don't think we have to reinvent a bootstrapping mechanism 
> for mip6  since it was the goal of the DT. From my point of 
> view, the document  should be aligned on  

Sure, I am not proposing any new bootstrapping mechanism here.
I am talking about the rationale for a new Diameter application
regarding MIP6 bootstrapping.

Let me more clarify.
Through the integrated scenario, AAA server assigns a home agent for a
mobile node.
This home agent can be located at local or home of mobile node.
The decision where to locate a home agent needs to be transacted
between AAAv and AAAh 
based on the MN's profile and request.

The seed information can be conveyed as a flag type as shown below. 

   2    Home-Address-Allocatable-Only-in-Home-Domain flag: This flag
is
   set to '1' when the MN requests the home address to be assigned in
   its home network.

   4    Home-Agent-in-Visited-Domain flag: This flag is set to '1'
when
   the AAAh allows the allocation of HA in the visited network.

   8    Visited-Home-Agent-Available flag: This flag is set to '1'
when
   the AAAv notifies to the AAAh that it can support the assignment of
a
   HA in the visited network.

I don't think that it is a right choice to transfer this kind of
information through the existing Diameter messages
which are not relevant to MIP6.

Thanks,
Junghoon

>  Wether we need new Diameter Messages (I don't think that's 
> the good  option based on my recent mail posted here) or just 
> add AVPs to  NASREQ/EAP may need more discussions.

> > document had a different focus than today's bootstrapping 
> activites. 
> > Anyway, I got in touch with Franck to work on the document with
him 
> > but he moved to CMU and has no time for it anymore. Maybe the
other 
> > co-authors are still interested in this subject - but I haven't 
> > received a reply yet.
> > I

---

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:00:37 +0100

Hi junghoon,

> Sure, I am not proposing any new bootstrapping mechanism here.

 Let's say new features.

> based on the MN's profile and request.

 In the Integrated scenario, this decision is made by the MN in his DHCP
 request. This is not based on its profile. At least that's what I
 understood.

 The AAAH always sends a HA address in the (visited NAS).

> which are not relevant to MIP6.

 but how do the NAS know which Diameter application to use with the AAA
 server ? If you want a specific Diameter Application (I mean new
 messages), this imply to modify all Client - NAS protocol.

 Am I missing something ?

 Thanks,

 Julien

---

From: "Junghoon Jee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:52:54 +0900

Julien, please see my inline replies.

> > between AAAv and AAAh based on the MN's profile and request.
> 
>  In the Integrated scenario, this decision is made by the MN 
> in his DHCP  request. This is not based on its profile. At 
> least that's what I  understood.

Yes, this is a point that needs to be amended from the existing DHCP
based integrated scenario.
Why AAAh needs to allocate a home agent in case AAAv can/needs to
allocate a home agent in the local domain?
If AAAh always allocates a home agent then when that kind of
information will be cleaned up in case that home agent is not used?
IMO, AAAh needs to know that AAAv can allocate a home agent for the
mobile node and then needs to decide where to locate home agent
for a mobile node.
In case the mobile node requests the allocation of home agent in the
visited domain and the kind of feature is possible depending
on the profile of the mobile node then, AAAv finally allocates the
local home agent following the confirmation from AAAh.

> > information through the existing Diameter messages which are not 
> > relevant to MIP6.
> 
>  but how do the NAS know which Diameter application to use 
> with the AAA  server ? 

According to the DHCPv6 options,  I think.
DHCP server parses these DHCP options which are configured by a mobile
node, 
then it can notify NAS of the fact that a mobile node is requesting
the assignment of home agent.
Thus, NAS can invoke a new Diameter MIP6 bootstrapping application.
If the DHCP relay which can be collocated with NAS can parse these
options, then it can be more simpler.

Thanks,
-Junghoon

If you want a specific Diameter 
> Application (I mean new  messages), this imply to modify all 
> Client - NAS protocol.
> 
>  Am I missing something ?

> > >  In both case, requesting an Application-ID seems 
> necessary for the 
> > > 'M'
> > >  bit support.
> > > 
> > >  My 2 cents,
> > > 
> > >  Julien Bournelle
> > > 
> > > > 
> > > >    these parameters are statically configured.  Ongoing 
> work aims
> > to
> > > >    important aspect of the Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping solution
is
> > to
> > > > -0
> > > > 0.txt
> > > > 
> > > > Before I started working on the latter document I contact
Franck
> > Le

---

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:37:01 +0100

hi junghoon,

> local home agent following the confirmation from AAAh.

 I agree that it's a good feature to have. 

> options, then it can be more simpler.

 hmmm, so you want:

 - DHCPV6 request by the MN before any network access authentication
 protocol

 - the NAS learns that MN wants DHCPv6 (how ?)

 - if the MN require also an address in the network, how is it managed ?

 - network access authentication protocol (with no modifications) +
   Diameter MIP6 specific Application

   (this application would still need to be compatible with the network
   access authentication protocol e.g. EAP)
 
 - the AAAH or AAAV allocate the HA and sends it to the NAS and then to
   DHCP.

 - DHCPV6 Request (from the MN) or directly DHCPV6 Response containing
   the HA ? 

 Julien

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 12:47:02 +0200

>> rationale of new Diameter Application regarding MIPv6 bootstrapping 
>> based on the feature of local or home agent assignments which is not 

I agree with this assement, at a highlevel.

John