Subject: [Dime] Diameter QoS: Scenarios

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 16:45:06 +0200

Hi all,

to start our work on Diameter QoS we need to revisit some design decisions.

I will start with the usage scenarios.
When we worked in NSIS on QoS signaling (and reviewing the work on RSVP) 
we obviously realized that authorization is an important aspect of the 
entire QoS story.

The Diameter QoS draft (see the latest version 
draft-tschofenig-dime-diameter-qos-00) particularly addresses the 
authorization aspect by outlining different authorization models in 
Section 3.2.

The scenarios listed below result in different message exchanges and, as 
a consequence, with a different content.

The QoS specific attributes are in many cases provided via the QoS 
signaling protocol and forwarded towarded along the AAA infrastructure 
for authorization. Depending on the authorization model it might be 
necessary for the node initiating the QoS reservation to provide an 
authorization token along with it (see Figure 4 of 
draft-tschofenig-dime-diameter-qos-00.txt). If no authorization token is 
provided then the previously executed network access authentication 
procedure (see Figure 3 of draft-tschofenig-dime-diameter-qos-00.txt) 
might be utilized. The QoS attributes are sent from the Diameter client 
to the Diameter server indicating a request for authorization and the 
response might also carry QoS attributes if there are modifications to 
these attributes. (We ignore session termination, re-authorization for a 
moment.)

A further scenario that is relevant for the QoS work is the ability to 
provide QoS attributes as a result of a network access authentication 
protocol run.

Finally, the ability for a Diameter server-side initiated QoS 
provisioning was seen as an important usage scenario.

Does someone disagree with the above-listed scenarios? Are some 
scenarios missing?

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime