Subject: Re: [Dime] receving connections from 3868 with multiple instances.

From: Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 10:42:15 -0400

I agree that we should get rid of the "must listen on port 3868" rule 
and that it should be OK for multiple Diameter nodes to reside on the 
same physical host, even using the same IP. It would probably also be a 
good idea for us to nail down how SRV is used for Diameter. Could go 
into 3588bis.

Thanks,
Anders

Tolga Asveren wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> 
> For a truly dynamic discovery, wouldn't the "Port" in SRV lookup result
> address your concern of not being able to distinguish between multiple
> instances on the same host?
> 
>     Thanks,
>     Tolga
> 
> 
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Andreas Fredriksson [mailto:[email-masked]]
>>Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:27 AM
>>To: Timothy Smith
>>Cc: [email-masked]; Valesh Chandu
>>Subject: Re: [Dime] receving connections from 3868 with multiple
>>instances.
>>
>>
>>Timothy Smith wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Chandu,
>>>
>>>I think you have touched on an area where there are a couple of
>>>unclear points.  I also interpret that you can have multiple Diameter
>>>nodes on the same host.  I think this implies:
>>>1) Each node must listen on a different port as you have pointed out.
>>> So, only one of the nodes can use the recommended port 3868.
>>>2) The Origin-Host AVP is also problematic in that its value conflicts
>>>in a host with multiple Diameter nodes.  The Origin-Host is of type
>>>Diameter Identity, and "The value of the Origin-Host AVP is guaranteed
>>>to be unique within a single host".  But also, "DiameterIdentity value
>>>is used to uniquely identify a Diameter node for purposes of duplicate
>>>connection..."   These two statements are inconsistent on a host with
>>>multiple Diameter nodes.  The Diameter Identity is a FQDN which
>>>realistically means you can only have a single Origin-Host name for
>>>all of the nodes on a given host.  So, the dilemma is that if you have
>>>multiple Diameter nodes on host A and multiple Diameter nodes on host
>>>B, then because of the single connection rule, you will only be able
>>>to set up one connection between one of the nodes on host A and one of
>>>the nodes on host B.   This is something that I think should be
>>>clarified in the BIS document.  My preference would be to say that the
>>>Origin-Host AVP should be a FQDN, but not that it must be a FQDN.
>>> That way, you could assign a unique Origin-Host name to each Diameter
>>>node on a host.  And any or all nodes on Host A could establish a
>>>connection to any or all nodes on Host B.
>>
>>Hi,
>>I think the port 3868 restriction helps when you're doing dynamic peer
>>discovery. If an implementation sees an unknown diameter identity it
>>could try the various discovery options outlined in the RFC (e.g. DNS
>>lookups). These do not include a port anywhere IIRC and if there are
>>multiple stacks running on a single IP messages could end up on the
>>wrong stack.
>>
>>However, it's perfectly fine to use several IP addresses (using ethernet
>>aliases) on a single box which map to different FQDNs. This removes the
>>above limitation and is fine as far as the RFC goes.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Andreas
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>DiME mailing list
>>[email-masked]
>>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
> 

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: Victor Fajardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:30:31 -0400

Hi Anders,
> same physical host, even using the same IP. It would probably also be 
> a good idea for us to nail down how SRV is used for Diameter. Could go 
> into 3588bis.

Maybe I'm missing something but why should we remove the text "must 
listen on port 3868" ?

regards,
victor

---

From: Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 14:13:45 -0400

> Maybe I'm missing something but why should we remove the text "must 

Because we want to allow multiple logical "nodes" to run on a single 
host without them necessarily using separate IP addresses. Only one node 
can listen on port 3868.

Anders

---

From: Victor Fajardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:03:32 -0400

Hi Anders,

> host without them necessarily using separate IP addresses. Only one 
> node can listen on port 3868.

Hmmm ... but maybe this type of scenario's is an 
implementation/deployment specific issue. My concern is whether people 
consider this a real issue in 3588. I'm not sure it is significant 
enough to merit changes in bis.

regards,
victor

>>>>> From: Andreas Fredriksson 
>>>>> [mailto:[email-masked]]