Subject: [Dime] Expert Reviewers Nominated

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:13:20 -0800

Hi all,

during the DIME meeting we selected expert reviewers for the HA<->AAAH 
document 
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-mip6-split-01.txt):

* Glen Zorn
* Lionel Morand
* Ahmad Muhanna

Since a number of issues have been raised during the meeting I would 
suggest to also jump into the discussions. I will send a separate mail 
with a description of the raised aspects.

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Ahmad Muhanna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:58:12 -0600

Hi all,
Please find below my technical comments after reviewing this draft.

The following is the type of comments I have:

1. Editorial comments

1.1. Comment 1:
Abstract

   .................................  This document also specifies the
   role of the Home Agent as part of the AAA infrastructure supporting
   the Diameter Mobile IPv6 Authorization Application.

I am not sure what we mean by the HA part of the AAA infrastructure. May
be we can say "..... The Home Agent as a Diameter MIP6 Authorization
client."

1.2. Comment 2:
Introduction
"
   With the Mobile IPv6 protocol [1], a Mobile Node (MN) is assigned a
   Home Agent which is in charge of relaying IPv6 packets destined to
   MN's Home Address to the MN's current address.
"
Can we reword this sentence as follows:

"A Mobile Node (MN) that support Mobile IPv6 protocol [1] is assigned a
Home Agent to register its Mobile IPv6 session in order facilitate its
reachability and mobility at all time when it is a way from home."

1.3. Comment 3:
   "
   ....................For this reason, it is important for the Home
   Agent to act as part of the service provider's AAA infrastructure."

Can we replace it with the following:

"....................For this reason, it is important for the Home
   Agent to act as Diameter MIP6 Authorization client."

1.4. Comment 4:
Under section 3.0, 
"When the verification of user authorization to receive Mobile IPv6
 service is complete, the Home Agent..............................."

Can we replace it with the following:

"When the user Mobile IPv6 service authorization process is successful, 
the Home Agent..............................."

1.5. Comment 5:
Under section 4:
   "...................................................... As EAP is
   considered as a strong choice in performing authentication, this
   document explains the use of Diameter EAP application in cases where
   the prior authentication between MN and HA is done through use of
   EAP. Therefore, the HA performs AAA operations for Mobile IPv6 by
   using two Diameter Applications, namely: Diameter EAP[6] and Diameter
   Mobile IPv6 (specified by this document)."

Can we reword this one, may be as follows:

  "...................................................... As EAP is
   very possibly the choice for performing user authentication, this
   document explains the use of Diameter EAP application when the MN
   and HA use it for their authentication. Therefore HA performs user 
   authentication using Diameter EAP [6] and Mobile IPv6 service 
   authorization using Diameter Mobile IPv6 as specified in this
document"

2. Non Completed sections comments

All non completed section need to be updated and completed.

3. Proposed New functionality comments

Under section 4.3 Accounting, it reads:
"  ........................................................ However, due
   to routing optimization techniques introduced with Mobile IPv6 the HA
   does not see the entire traffic exchanged between the MN and the CN."

Proposed Functionality:
I would propose that it become part of this application the
authorization for 
the user route optimization. This means that AAAH-MIP6 server will
indicate 
to the HA if route optimization is allowed for this user or not using an
AVP, like:
MIP6-Route-Optimization-Capabilities. This will give the MSA more power
over the 
their billing modulation and offering. This probably requires some
change to allow the HA to communicate to MN that route optimization
authorization status.

4. The main technical issue, AAAH-EAP and AAAH-MIP6 servers are
Different.
(IMO) this needs to be addressed depending on the bootstrapping and
authentication Model, as described below:

4.1. Integrated Bootstrapping
In this case, I do not see any need for the AAAH-EAP and AAAH-MIP6 to be
the same. Both the Diameter Client and Diameter server belong to the
same operator and there SHOULD be an existing trust relationship. In
this case, the Diameter server AAAH-MIP6 does not need to verify or know
that the user has been authenticated or NOT. It ONLY needs to verify if
the user is authorized to receive Mobile IPv6 service or not. (Also the
proposed idea below can be adopted here)

4.2. Split Bootstrapping:
In this case, I believe there are two different scenarios: (4.2.1. HA in
the Home Network, 4.2.2. HA in the visited network)

4.2.1. HA in the Home Network
This case is similar to 4.1.

4.2.2. HA in the Visited Network
Although communication to the AAAH-EAP and AAAH-MIP6 servers is through
some kind of SLA, there is still a need for the AAAH-MIP6 to be assured
that the authorization request is for an authenticated user. Please see
some thoughts about a possible idea for a solution below.

4.3. Using RFC4285
I think this RFC should be considered for this Diameter MIP6
Authorization application.

Proposed solutions:
I will use the other thread for it.

Many Thanks.

Regards,
Ahmad

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Hannes Tschofenig [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 6:13 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; 
> Glen Zorn (gwz)
> Subject: [Dime] Expert Reviewers Nominated
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> during the DIME meeting we selected expert reviewers for the 
> HA<->AAAH document
>
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-mip6-split-01.txt):
> 
> * Glen Zorn
> * Lionel Morand
> * Ahmad Muhanna
> 
> Since a number of issues have been raised during the meeting 
> I would suggest to also jump into the discussions. I will 
> send a separate mail with a description of the raised aspects.
> 
> Ciao
> Hannes
> 
>