Subject: [Dime] Design Guideline on Command reuse and Application-Id

From: "Mark Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:46:40 -0400

When 3GPP reused NASREQ commands in the Gx application (TS 29.212), a
question arose about which application id should populate the
Auth-Application-Id AVP. Gx is a vendor-specific application (3GPP is
the 'vendor') so it was initially thought that the
Vendor-Specific-Application-Id AVP should be used instead of
Auth-Application-Id. However, the Auth-Application-Id AVP is a required
AVP in the NASREQ commands so the AVP could not be replaced without
abandoning the command reuse. 3GPP decided to populate the
Auth-Application-Id AVP with the Gx application id.

I think it would be useful for the Design Guidelines draft to capture
this scenario and suggest the following paragraph be added to section
5.3 (Use of Application-Id in a Message):

"For historical reasons, some IETF applications specify commands that
require application id AVPs (Auth-Application-Id or Acct-Application-Id)
in the message body. When designing vendor-specific applications which
reuse these IETF commands, designers should specify that the application
id contained in these AVPs is that assigned to the vendor-specific
application and not the original IETF application."

Any concerns?

Regards
Mark

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime