Subject: [Dime] regrading reserved bits in Diameter header

From: "Pallavi Pethia, TLS-Chennai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:10:06 +0530

Hi All,

         I have question in RFC 3588 'section 3.  Diameter Header ' .

It says,

r(eserved)  - these flag bits are reserved for future use, and

                    MUST be set to zero, and ignored by the receiver.

Suppose the reserved are set with value 1.

There are two ways in which receiver can respond with an answer:

1)       It can ignore the reserved bits in request and respond with
successful (2001 Result code).

2)       It can send DIAMETER_INVALID_BIT_IN_HEADER i.e. (5013 Result
code).

The description of  2) is in RFC 3588 section 

7.1.5.  Permanent Failures section of  RFC 3588 is below :

DIAMETER_INVALID_BIT_IN_HEADER     5013

      This error is returned when an unrecognized bit in the Diameter

      header is set to one (1).

Please let me know in which way( 1 or 2) the receiver of request with
reserved bits set should react.

Thanks,

Pallavi

DISCLAIMER:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in 
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of 
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have 
received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any mail and 
attachments please check them for viruses and defect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime