Subject: [Dime] WG: Bug in NASREQ

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:38:07 +0100

FYI
 
This relates to the discussion about Diameter extensibility. Not even
the published IETF documents follow the extensibility rules of RFC 3588.

It appears that everyone sets the M-bit almost randomly. I am sure that
looking at the RADIUS-Diameter interoperability section of RADIUS
documents the AVP flag tables would most likely scare us as well. 
 
Ciao
Hannes

________________________________

Von: ext Avi Lior [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Gesendet: Dienstag, 12. Februar 2008 00:59
An: Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)
Cc: Mark Jones
Betreff: Bug in NASREQ

Hannes,
 
We found a bug in NASREQ.  NASREQ bases its Accounting Application ID on
Diameter Base and at the same time it is adding 11 new AVPs with the 'M'
bit set.  We just need one to require the use of a new Application ID
for accounting.  As per 3588:
 
   Basic accounting support is sufficient to handle any application that
uses
   the ACR/ACA commands defined in this document, as long as no new
   mandatory AVPs are added.  A mandatory AVP is defined as one which
   has the "M" bit set when sent within an accounting command,
   regardless of whether it is required or optional within the ABNF for
   the accounting application.

The AVPs are defined in Section 8 of NASREQ.
 
   Accounting-      363  8.1     Unsigned64 | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
     Input-Octets                           |    |     |    |     |    |
   Accounting-      364  8.2     Unsigned64 | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
     Output-Octets                          |    |     |    |     |    |
   Accounting-      365  8.3     Unsigned64 | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
     Input-Packets                          |    |     |    |     |    |
   Accounting-      366  8.4     Unsigned64 | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
     Output-Packets                         |    |     |    |     |    |
   Acct-Session-Time 46  8.5     Unsigned32 | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
   Acct-Authentic    45  8.6     Enumerated | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
   Acounting-Auth-  406  8.7     Enumerated | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
     Method                                 |    |     |    |     |    |
   Acct-Delay-Time   41  8.8     Unsigned32 | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
   Acct-Link-Count   51  8.9     Unsigned32 | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
   Acct-Tunnel-      68  8.10    OctetString| M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
     Connection                             |    |     |    |     |    |
   Acct-Tunnel-      86  8.11    Unsigned32 | M  |  P  |    |  V  | Y  |
     Packets-Lost                           |    |     |    |     |    |

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime