Subject: [Dime] Diameter WebAuth

From: Niklas Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:07:15 +0100

Hello everybody,

my name is Niklas Neumann and currently I am working as a research 
assistant at the University of Goettingen. For my masters thesis I 
developed an approach to Diameter-based identity management for web 
applications. A part of this work is now available as an Internet-Draft:

	Title		: Diameter Application for Authentication and Authorization in 
Web Applications
	Author(s)	: N. Neumann, X. Fu
	Filename	: draft-neumann-dime-webauth-00.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2008-2-18
	
This document specifies the Diameter Application for Authentication
    and Authorization in Web Applications (Diameter WebAuth).  This
    Diameter application is intended to be used by Diameter clients to
    perform authentication and authorization operations with a Diameter
    server in web-based environments.  It provides facilities to allow
    web sites to authenticate their web user clients using a number of
    (HTTP) authentication schemes.  In addition, it supports user 
authorization using dedicated service identifiers.  Diameter WebAuth
    may also be used by non web-based Diameter clients and servers that
    require a lightweight authentication and authorization Diameter
    application.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-neumann-dime-webauth-00.txt

I would really appreciate any comments and suggestions on this topic 
from you. Especially I'd like to know if there is interest in such a 
work from your side, bringing the Diameter protocol closer to the 
application level.

The whole master thesis is available at 
http://www.net.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/publications/1495/master_thesis_niklas_neumann.pdf 
  (if you are interested).
It includes more details, an evaluation of other approaches to web-based 
identity management (OpenId, Liberty, etc.) and a section about the 
prototype implementation. The Internet-Draft only reflects a part of 
this work, some other aspects of the work done in the thesis are left 
out for now, but you have to start somewhere :)

So long
   Niklas

-- 
Niklas Neumann - University of Goettingen, Institute of Informatics
http://user.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/~nneuman1/
Tel: +49 551 39-14419
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime