Subject: [Dime] AD review of draft-ietf-dime-diameter-api

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:11:23 +0200

Please find below the AD review of draft-ietf-dime-diameter-api. I have
divided the comments into Technical and Editorial. 

Although the document has reached a certain level of maturity it looks
like another I-D would be needed before we can go to IETF Last Call. I
suggest to address in the revised I-D also comments from other
reviewers, I have seen comments from Sebastien Decugis, there may be
other. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

Technical Comments

T1. Section 1 - using the term 'standardized API' is not appropriate.
The WG charter speaks about 'An informational RFC on a Diameter API' and
the document itself targets Informational. It looks like the document
should not claim that the API described here is the 'standardized' API. 

T2. The typedef enum in Section 3.1.12 is copied twice, and never closes
- missing probably } AAAReturnCodes;

T3. The data types in Section 3.1.14 do not correspond with the data
types defined in Section 4.2 of RFC3588 (missing Unsigned32, Unsigned64,
Float32, Float64)

T4. The list of result codes returned from remote servers in Section
3.1.18 does not seem to match anything from RFC3588. I am looking at
Section 7.1. Do I need to look into some other place? 

Editorial Comments

E1 Section 3.1.7 has the wrong title - it should probably be 'Server
Identifier' or 'Serving Peer Identifier'

E2 - section 3.1.12 - 

AAA_ERR_NOMEM:  This code is returned if the operation caused memory to
be exhausted.

In reality it is not necessarily this operation that caused memory to be
exhausted. I believe that a more accurate description would be 'The code
is returned if there is no enough memory to execute the operation'. 

E3 - section 3.1.20 seems to have borrowed text from 3.1.19. It would
also benefit from a short explanation of each field

E4 - The descriptions of the various functions in section 3.4 are
inconsistent in mentioning when fields refer to pointers (sometimes they
do , sometimes the do not)

E5 - Section 3.7, pag. 40 - in the first paragraph, third sentence the
word 'directly' appears twice

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime