Subject: Re: [Dime] Diameter Prefix Delegation Application

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:32:18 -0700 (PDT)

see inline,

Regards,

Behcet

----- Original Message ----
From: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
To: Frank Xia <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 11:39:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Dime] Diameter Prefix Delegation Application

Frank Xia [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:

...

> Just as your concerns,  AAA address mangement is NOT capable as the
> DHCP
> solution, such as lacking of renew/reconfigure mechanism.  

Actually, that doesn't concern me at all: DHCP seems to work just fine.

> The
> deficiency
> becomes more conspicuous when IPv6 address renumbering is under
> consideration.
> This is also the motivation of the draft.

I just get the feeling that the only reason that Diameter is being
considered is that it's handy, not because this actually has anything to do
with AAA.

[behcet] Glen, have you read RFC 4818? AAA has already been given a role in Prefix Delegation.
Why not develop an AAA application to get prefixes directly from AAA server?
This is what we are proposing.

snipped the rest.

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:10:48 +0700

.

[behcet] Glen, have you read RFC 4818?

Yes, I have, thank you.  

AAA has already been given a role in Prefix Delegation.

Although 4818 is rather close-mouthed about actual implementation (in the
tradition of RADIUS documents), it seems fairly clear that in the intended
application the "requesting router" takes the role of the NAS client (user)
(perfectly reasonable in many cases (DSL, WiMAX, etc.)) while the
"delegating router" has the role of NAS.  Obviously, in this case the
Session-Lifetime would be identical to the lifetime of the returned
prefix(es).  Why wouldn't this work in Diameter?

Because it's unnecessary?
This is what we are proposing.

snipped the rest.