Subject: Re: [Dime] Diameter Prefix Delegation Application

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:54:56 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Droms Ralph <[email-masked]>; Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>; Joseph Salowey (jsalowey) <[email-masked]>; Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 4:49:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Dime] Diameter Prefix Delegation Application

The intent for the Delegated-IPv6-Prefix attribute is that it be  
returned to the AAA client at the time the user is authenticated,  
perhaps along with similar attributes like Framed-IPv6-Prefix and  
Framed-Interface-ID.  As shown in the diagram in the Introduction of  
RFC 4818, the Delegated-IPv6-Prefix can be returned to the Delegating  
Router (DR), which then returns the prefix to the Requesting Router  
(RR) as part of DHCPv6 prefix delegation (this diagram might have been  
clarified with a more detailed description of the Delegated-IPv6- 
Prefix as returned as part of the user authentication Request message  
exchange along with the indication of authentication and other user  
attributes):

    This document defines the Delegated-IPv6-Prefix attribute as a  
RADIUS
    [1] attribute that carries an IPv6 prefix to be delegated to the
    user, for use in the user's network.  For example, the prefix in a
    Delegated-IPv6-Prefix attribute can be delegated to another node
    through DHCP Prefix Delegation [2].

    The Delegated-IPv6-Prefix attribute can be used in DHCP Prefix
    Delegation between the delegating router and a RADIUS server, as
    illustrated in the following message sequence.

    Requesting Router   Delegating Router                   RADIUS  
Server
          |                     |                                 |
          |-Solicit------------>|                                 |
          |                     |-Request------------------------>|
          |                     |<--Accept(Delegated-IPv6-Prefix)-|
          |<--Advertise(Prefix)-|                                 |
          |-Request(Prefix)---->|                                 |
          |<--Reply(Prefix)-----|                                 |
          |                     |                                 |
                 DHCP PD                      RADIUS

    [1]  Rigney, C., Willens, S., Rubens, A., and W. Simpson, "Remote
         Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS)", RFC 2865, June
         2000.

    [2]  Troan, O. and R. Droms, "IPv6 Prefix Options for Dynamic Host
         Configuration Protocol (DHCP) version 6", RFC 3633, December
         2003.

If I understand the proposal to "develop an AAA application to get  
prefixes directly from AAA server?", it would be similar to an  
application that would perform a AAA transaction to obtain a Framed-IP- 
Address, Framed-IP-Netmask, Framed-IPv6-Prefix or a Framed-Interface- 
ID directly from the AAA server.

[behcet] Yes, kind of. Anyways, we are revising the PS draft and hopefully will be able better explain the problem.

Regards,

Behcet 

snipped the rest.
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 00:34:45 +0700

Behcet Sarikaya [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:

.

[behcet] Yes, kind of. Anyways, we are revising the PS draft and hopefully
will be able better explain the problem.

That should be interesting, since thus far the only problems you have
described are either a) already solved in existing Diameter applications or
b) outside the scope of AAA altogether.

Regards,

Behcet 

snipped the rest.