Subject: [Dime] comments for draft-fajardo-dime-app-design-guide-02

From: "Asveren, Tolga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:07:17 -0400

1) 4.1
"The rules are strict in the case where the AVP(s) to be added is
 mandatory to be understood and interpreted.  This means that the
 M-bit is set and the AVP(s) is required to exist in command ABNF."

I think we finally have a consensus that M-bit and ABNF are two
different animals (at least theoretically) and it is M-bit which
mandates that receiver has to understand the AVP. So, I would think the
last sentence of the quoted text should say "This means that the M-bit
is set." 

2) 5.1
Split Accounting Model

I guess we discussed this but my memory is blur about the outcome:
This model seems to have a problem about advertising accounting
capability. There is no way that an accounting server can indicate the
type of applications for which it can support accounting. So, unless it
is known that the accounting server can handle accounting for all types
of applications, which use split model, in the network there could be
problems with message routing. I guess 
"The overall system architecture permits the use of centralized
 accounting for one or more Diameter applications." 
is added to warn about this but I am not sure whether it is clear
enough.

3) There are references to a few expired drafts:
[8]  Calhoun, P., "Diameter Resource Management Extensions",
        draft-calhoun-diameter-res-mgmt-08.txt (work in progress),
        March 2001.

   [9]  Asveren, T., "Diameter Duplicate Detection Cons.",
        draft-asveren-dime-dupcons-00 (work in progress), August 2006.

I am not sure whether these will see the daylight again.

4) 5.9
"For general AAA applications, Diameter requires more message
 exchanges for the same set of services compared to RADIUS.
 Therefore, application designers should consider scalability
 issues during the design process."
What does this exactly refer to?

I will check the extensibility wiki as well and probably have another
pass on the design-guidelines draft afterwards.

Thanks,
Tolga
_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime