Subject: [Dime] FW: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4005 (1946)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:01:15 +0100

DIME WG,

Please advice on this errata submitted by Avi Lior. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: RFC Errata System [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:26 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; Romascanu, Dan (Dan); [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4005 (1946)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4005, "Diameter
Network Access Server Application".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4005&eid=1946

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Avi Lior <[email-masked]>

Section: 9.2

Original Text
-------------
If the Accounting-Input-Octets, Accounting-Input-Packets,
   Accounting-Output-Octets, or Accounting-Output-Packets AVPs are
   present, they must be translated to the corresponding RADIUS
   attributes.  If the value of the Diameter AVPs do not fit
   within a 32-bit RADIUS attribute, the RADIUS Acct-Input-
   Gigawords and Acct-Output-Gigawords must be used.

Corrected Text
--------------
If the Accounting-Input-Octets, 
   Accounting-Output-Octets,  AVPs are
   present, they must be translated to the corresponding RADIUS
   attributes.  If the value of the Diameter AVPs do not fit
   within a 32-bit RADIUS attribute, the RADIUS Acct-Input-
   Gigawords and Acct-Output-Gigawords must be used.

Notes
-----
The last sentence of the original text causes confusion because
according to RFC2869, the Acct-Input/Output-Gigawords are only overflows
for the Acct-Input/Output-Octet attributes.  
THE ABOVE CORRECTION BASICALLY DOES NOT PROVIDE FOR OVERFLOW FOR THE
PACKET COUNTERS.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please use
"Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or rejected. When a
decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG) can log in to change the
status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC4005 (draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-nasreq-17)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Diameter Network Access Server Application
Publication Date    : August 2005
Author(s)           : P. Calhoun, G. Zorn, D. Spence, D. Mitton
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Authentication, Authorization and Accounting
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG