Subject: [Dime] FW: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC4072 (1955)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:48:41 +0100

DIME WG,

Please advice concerning this errata. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: RFC Errata System [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:39 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
Romascanu, Dan (Dan); [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC4072 (1955)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4072, "Diameter
Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Application".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4072&eid=1955

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.1.4

Original Text
-------------
   Note that not all link layers use this name, and currently most EAP
   methods do not generate it.  Since the NAS operates in pass-through
   mode, it cannot know the Key-Name before receiving it from the AAA
   server.  As a result, a Key-Name AVP sent in a Diameter-EAP-Request
   MUST NOT contain any data.  A home Diameter server receiving a
   Diameter-EAP-Request with a Key-Name AVP with non-empty data MUST
   silently discard the AVP.  

Corrected Text
--------------
   Note that not all link layers use this name, and currently most EAP
   methods do not generate it.  Since the NAS operates in pass-through
   mode, it cannot know the name of the key before receiving it from the
AAA
   server.  As a result, an EAP-Key-Name AVP sent in a
Diameter-EAP-Request
   MUST NOT contain any data.  A home Diameter server receiving a
   Diameter-EAP-Request containing an EAP-Key-Name AVP with non-empty
data MUST
   silently ignore the AVP.  

Notes
-----
In the original text, the first occurrence of the string "Key-Name"
apparently is meant to refer to the actual name of the key, rather than
an AVP identifier, while the next two occurrences are obviously typos,
since no Key-Name AVP is defined in the document.  Also, the term
"silently discard" is typically used in reference to messages; with
reference to a single AVP, "silently ignore" seems more appropriate.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please use
"Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or rejected. When a
decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG) can log in to change the
status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC4072 (draft-ietf-aaa-eap-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Diameter Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
Application
Publication Date    : August 2005
Author(s)           : P. Eronen, Ed., T. Hiller, G. Zorn
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Authentication, Authorization and Accounting
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG