Subject: [Dime] dime 94 meeting notes - summary

From: "A. Jean Mahoney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 10:08:15 +0900

Hi all,

Below are summary notes from the meeting in Yokohama.

Thanks,

Jean

dime 94

1300-1400  TUESDAY, November 3, 2015, Afternoon Session I (60 mins)
meeting room: Room 413
Jabber room: dime at jabber.ietf.org

------------------------------------------
13:00 - 13:05, Preliminaries (5 minutes)
Presenter: Lionel Morand
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-dime-0.pdf

Note taker and Jabber scribe: Jean Mahoney
Jabber log: http://www.ietf.org/jabber/logs/dime/2015-11-03.html

Lionel presented the Note Well and agenda. No changes to the agenda. 
Jouni was unable to attend Yokohama.

------------------------------------------
13:05 - 13:10, WG Document Status (5 minutes)
Presenter:  Lionel Morand
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-dime-0.pdf

Lionel thinks that draft-ietf-dime-e2e-sec-req needs some 
clarifications/corrections. Jouni will take the discussion to list. The 
draft may not need a new WGLC, but it will need a new version.

-------------------------------------------
13:10 - 13:20 Diameter Request Message Priority
Presenter: Steve Donovan
draft: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-drmp/
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-dime-1.pdf

On the number of priority levels, no one had comments.

On the value of the Default Priority, Ken Colbert supported 10, but had 
concerns about a lack of one-to-one mapping. Martin Dolly said that we 
did not need to get caught up on the number.

On the topic of SHOULD/MAY for the Default Priority, Ken, Lionel, and 
Martin supported SHOULD. Jay Lee supported MAY. Lionel suggested that 
the text can clarify that draft is not saying how to process a request. 
Lionel asked the room if anyone had a real concern about SHOULD, no one 
had any comments.

ACTION: Repeat the question about whether anyone has a real concern 
about SHOULD on the mailing list.

Lionel thinks the draft should be able to go to WGLC after updates.

-------------------------------------------
13:30 - 13:40 Diameter Load Control
Presenter: Steve Donovan
draft: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-load/
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-dime-2.pdf

Lionel encouraged WG to review the draft, which is high up on 3GPP's 
list and a Release 13 item. Lionel said that the chairs cannot be 
reviewers. If a reviewer just agreed with everything, they should post 
that on the list also.

ACTION: WG members to review the draft, provide feedback on list. Any 
issues should be added to the tracker.

-------------------------------------------
13:40 - 13:50 Diameter overload control extension
Presenter: Steve Donovan
draft: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-agent-overload/
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-dime-3.pdf

Steve said that reviews should ensure that there's no lingering peer 
report verbiage in the draft. There were no open points in the draft 
that Steve knew about.

Lionel wants WG members to send all review comments to the mailing list, 
even if the comments are between authors, in order to help the ADs and 
chair gauge consensus.

ACTION: WG members to send comments to the mailing list. Any issues 
should be added to the tracker.

-------------------------------------------
Rate Abatement Algorithm
Presenter: Steve Donovan
draft: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-doic-rate-control/
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-dime-4.pdf

Open issue - with DOIC, the loss algorithm can be carried in host and 
realm reports. The rate algorithm can only be carried in the peer 
report. Does it make sense to carry it in the host report? It would only 
work if server selection is being done by a client. It doesn't make 
sense to add it to realm.

ACTION: WG members to review the draft and provide comments on list. Any 
issues should be added to the tracker.

-------------------------------------------
13:50 - 13:55 Diameter Group Signaling
Presenter: Lionel
draft: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-group-signaling/

Marco was not able to present and Lionel pointed out that there has been 
no progress on this draft. Lionel said the 3GPP was looking at 
specifying a mechanism to do what this draft covers. Steve had a concern 
that the agent impacts may not be properly addressed by 3GPP if they 
specified the mechanism.

ACTION: Lionel to open a comment period for the draft. If there are no 
comments or reviews by December, then the WG will not go forward with 
the draft.

-------------------------------------------
Wrap-up and Next (5 minutes)
--------------------
13:55 - 14:00 Next Steps: WG Chairs & ADs (5 minutes)
Presenter: Lionel
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-dime-0.pdf

Other than group signaling and end-to-end security, the WG's milestones 
are on track.

Steve asked how to go forward with a security mechanism and pointed out 
that it wasn't listed as a milestone. Lionel said that anyone can 
propose a mechanism to the list, and that he would update the milestones.

Lionel asked if an interim meeting was needed. No one in the room that 
we needed one.

ACTION: Lionel to ask ML if an interim meeting before Buenos Aires is 
needed.

ACTION: Lionel to update milestones with DRMP and security mechanism.