Subject: [Dime] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7683 (5277)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 02:47:50 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7683,
"Diameter Overload Indication Conveyance".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5277

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Lionel Morand <[email-masked]>

Section: 7.2

Original Text
-------------
7.2.  OC-Feature-Vector AVP

   The OC-Feature-Vector AVP (AVP Code 622) is of type Unsigned64 and
   contains a 64-bit flags field of announced capabilities of a DOIC
   node.  The value of zero (0) is reserved.

   The OC-Feature-Vector sub-AVP is used to announce the DOIC features
   supported by the DOIC node, in the form of a flag-bits field in which
   each bit announces one feature or capability supported by the node.
   The absence of the OC-Feature-Vector AVP in request messages
   indicates that only the default traffic abatement algorithm described
   in this specification is supported.  The absence of the OC-Feature-
   Vector AVP in answer messages indicates that the default traffic
   abatement algorithm described in this specification is selected
   (while other traffic abatement algorithms may be supported), and no
   features other than abatement algorithms are supported.

   The following capability is defined in this document:

   OLR_DEFAULT_ALGO (0x0000000000000001)

      When this flag is set by the a DOIC reacting node, it means that
      the default traffic abatement (loss) algorithm is supported.  When
      this flag is set by a DOIC reporting node, it means that the loss
      algorithm will be used for requested overload abatement.

Corrected Text
--------------
7.2.  OC-Feature-Vector AVP

   The OC-Feature-Vector AVP (AVP Code 622) is of type Unsigned64 and
   contains a 64-bit flags field of announced capabilities of a DOIC
   node.  The value of zero (0) is reserved.

      Note: The value of zero (0) any DOIC node supports at least the 
            Loss algorithm. Therefore, the OC-Feature-Vector AVP 
            cannot be sent with no bit set.

   The OC-Feature-Vector sub-AVP is used to announce the DOIC features
   supported by the DOIC node, in the form of a flag-bits field in which
   each bit announces one feature or capability supported by the node.
   The absence of the OC-Feature-Vector AVP in request messages
   indicates that only the default traffic abatement algorithm described
   in this specification is supported.  The absence of the OC-Feature-
   Vector AVP in answer messages indicates that the default traffic
   abatement algorithm described in this specification is selected
   (while other traffic abatement algorithms may be supported), and no
   features other than abatement algorithms are supported.

   The following capability is defined in this document:

+---+------------------+----------------------------------------------+
|bit|  Feature Name    |  Description                                 |
+---+------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| 0 | OLR_DEFAULT_ALGO |When set by a DOIC reacting node, it means    |
|   |                  |that the default traffic abatement (loss)     |
|   |                  |algorithm is supported. When set by a DOIC    |
|   |                  |reporting node, it means that the loss        |
|   |                  |algorithm will be used for requested overload |
|   |                  |abatment.                                     |
+---+------------------+----------------------------------------------+

Notes
-----
The OC-Feature-Vector AVP is a 64-bit flag field and not a set of values (one per feature). Using the hexadecimal notation, it gives the feeling that there is a unique value for the OC-Feature-Vector AVP per supported capability, hich is incorrect. It is only required to define the use of each bit. This errata report has an impact on the associated IANA regisrty.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7683 (draft-ietf-dime-ovli-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Diameter Overload Indication Conveyance
Publication Date    : October 2015
Author(s)           : J. Korhonen, Ed., S. Donovan, Ed., B. Campbell, L. Morand
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG