Subject: Re: [Diversity] Diversity: Call for community input

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 01:44:02 +0200

Hi Suresh,

I thank you for you post regarding this call for feedback/input from
community, but I also need some details from the team so I will be
able to send best of my comments.

I need to know if possible:

1) What is the team outputs, and will they report to us what will
happen, or the team are reporting to someone (unknown)?
2) What are the milestons tasks/dates? If no milestones then why teaming?
3) What is your methodology of collecting feedback from community? Are
you taking feedback from the list only, or you have added other
channels?

In below are some answers to the call;

On 6/17/13, Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The diversity design team is working on mechanisms to increase
> the range of perspectives within the IETF, while maintaining high
> standards of quality.
>
> Our goal is to help improve the composition and dynamic of the
> IETF, by finding ways to incorporate a wide range of perspectives
> within the IETF, and specifically in the IETF management teams.

So you are in contact with ietf management, which is good.

> One way of achieving this is to ensure that participants differ
> along many different personal, social, and professional
> attributes. The expectation is that the greater range of
> perspectives leads to considering issues more deeply and with
> more sensitivity.

I support that idea,
>
> Community feedback is the most important input that helps us
> determine the aspects are currently working well in the IETF in
> this regard and those that are not. We cannot properly execute
> the task of proposing new mechanisms or modifying existing
> mechanisms to further these goals without **your** participation
> and feedback.

I did many participation on the ietf list, but did you collect my
ideas and contributions, (I will try to collect them and summaries in
other new reply)

>
> We would like to help the IETF management make choices that
> maximize the IETF's ability to include and encourage all
> interested participants, and maximize their contributions to IETF
> work.

I try many time to do that, but sometimes management are busy, seems
like the load is high and tools are not.

>
> On that basis, we are seeking input from people based on their
> personal experiences about
>
> * actions and activities that have worked well to improve the
>   inclusiveness of the IETF process

I find the ADs in the IETF very active, reply friendly, and are able
to solve problems of community.

>
> * actions and activitiets that have not worked well to improve
>   the inclusiveness of the IETF process

The WG Chairs are not much active with remote participants in some WGs.

More answer in stories:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/diversity/current/msg00082.html

>
> * actions and activities that have worked *against* inclusiveness
>   of the IETF process

I was excluded by editors to be acknowledged in some documents while I
made efforts to give feedback to IETF. Many in IETF use other people
ideas without considering references. I prepared work in IETF but was
discouraged to continue.

AB