Subject: Re: [Diversity] IETF Diversity

From: "Scott Weeks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:23:21 -0700

Brought over from the main list to reduce noise there...

Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Minecraft was launched in 2011 and they had 4,500 people at 
> their first international conference that year, they are now 
> about to have their third. So they went from having nothing 
> to having a larger participant community than the IETF in a 
> matter of months.

Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]> wrote:
:: I think that is good news, and that IETF should realise how 
:: did that happen, and realise what is wrong in IETF. I 
:: suggested before that IETF encourages participants, and gave 
:: many responses but still I was feeling ignored.

This seems easy to answer.  The bar is much lower for the
participants of a gaming conference, both in terms of learning 
the tasks at hand and in terms of worrying about saying 
something dumb in front of everyone.  The tasks at hand in the 
IETF are much more complicated, so less folks will participate
and the risks of saying something dumb in front of a 
knowledgeable group of people are higher than at a gaming 
conference and will cause folks to hesitate on participation.
I don't see a participation lesson for the IETF there...

scott

_______________________________________________
diversity mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diversity