Subject: [Diversity] Report For Someone's IETF Stories For Diversity Progress (was Re: Making allowances for someone)

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:39:24 +0200

On 6/17/13, SM <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'll mention a story:
>
>    At my second IETF meeting, I attended a number of sessions.  At
>    one point, I dropped in to observe one of the working groups.
>    Someone (I don't recall whom, but I assumed at the time that it
>    was the chair) ejected me from the room with the assertion "this
>    working group is a closed group," and I forever since have had the
>    irrational feeling that I am not welcome in that particular domain.
>    The person, by the way, seemed as uncomfortable ejecting me as I
>    felt being ejected.  Had I been able to talk with the person earlier,
>    learn the ground rules, and find out what was probably the truth,
>    that only one session of that working group was going to be closed
>    during the whole week, the incident could have been avoided.
>

I have also remote IETF participation true stories below, which is
different than the above IETF meeting story. However, we need to
report all kinds of stories to know the IETF Weaknesses and Strengths.

- Someone before participating in IETF, sends comments to WG Editors
on IETF WG list related to I-D, but no responds (ignored).

- Someone before participating in IETF, sends questions/requests to WG
Chairs on the IETF WG list, but no respond.

- Someone after participating in IETF, contributed to an I-D but
editors don't want to acknowledge in the acknowledgemnt asection (the
document was changed but ignores such affect source). They say it was
not major contribution so they allowed themself to ignore.

- Someone while participating in IETF, prepared an I-D for the IETF
and send to the related WG for their opinion but no respond from that
WG (including WG Chair).

- Someone posting trying to make the WG/IETF progress, but the
old-participants/management think that he/she is making noise, they
even respond to write that in public.

- Someone in the community after participating in IETF, beleives that
you will not be allowed to have an I-D adopted as IETF-doc until you
attend many meetings and that you get participants to know you, or you
get old-particpant to co-author.

- Someone in the community after participating in IETF, beleives that
IETF ignores inputs from people who do not author an I-D, or inputs
from people who do not attend meetings.

- Someone from the community after participating in IETF, beleives
that he does not send emails/inputs to participants but sends his
contributions to IETF/WG lists for IETF progress.

Please note that the above are true stories. The persons who inform me
part of the above stoped participating but I am not stoping and still
trying to fix the IETF ignorances or fixing few opinions/stories
(guide who beleive that there are
input-noises/authorisation-to-not-allow in IETF).

IMHO it is better to not attend IETF meetings until it is sure that
thoes stories are fixed to follow the IETF vision, and not following
few people's visions.

AB