Subject: [Diversity] draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-01 - intimidation or personal attack

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:46:15 -0700

Hello,

There is the following text in draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-01:

   "We dispute ideas by using reasoned argument rather than through
    intimidation or personal attack."

How do I disagree with what you said without it being viewed as 
intimidation or a personal attack?  To say it differently, it is 
possible for the other person to consider what I wrote as intimidating.

I'll list a few scenarios:

   An Area Director says X.  Some people will likely be intimidated and will
   not say anything to contradict the Area Director.  It can be said that the
   Area Director is intimidating.

   A well-known IETF participant says X.  Some people will likely be 
intimidated
   or not be comfortable to disagree with that participant.

   An unknown IETF participant says X.  A lot of people disagree with the
   participant.  The participant will likely be intimidated.

Let's say I write to you and say:

   Your request come from a clear lack of understanding of the IETF
   or how it works.

Is that a personal attack?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy