Subject: [Diversity] transcription

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 14:19:47 +0200

Hi everyone,

I was talking to someone who is a non-native English speaker and he
mentioned to me that transcription really helps.  I wonder if you would
like to put this on the list of things things to validate.  I recognize
that such services are expensive.  In fact I used to transcribe for the
DKIM working group from time to time (I have this freakish ability to
type very fast - ca 135 wpm, people typically speak at 150).  I won't do
this for every working group, but I would be willing to do it for *one*
I am attending, upon request.  I wonder if others (a) have this ability,
and (b) would be willing to offer as well.

Eliot

---

From: "Moriarty, Kathleen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 09:21:58 -0400

Thanks, Eliot!

I tend to provide something close to a transcript when I take minutes, but am probably not as fast as you :-). I am glad to hear there are people that find it helpful.

We also received an offer from the French translator for the policy makers to document helpful changes for those in which English is not their first language.  This may be a good fit for her list/work.

Best regards,
Kathleen

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 3, 2013, at 8:20 AM, "Eliot Lear" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was talking to someone who is a non-native English speaker and he mentioned to me that transcription really helps.  I wonder if you would like to put this on the list of things things to validate.  I recognize that such services are expensive.  In fact I used to transcribe for the DKIM working group from time to time (I have this freakish ability to type very fast - ca 135 wpm, people typically speak at 150).  I won't do this for every working group, but I would be willing to do it for one I am attending, upon request.  I wonder if others (a) have this ability, and (b) would be willing to offer as well.

Eliot

_______________________________________________
diversity mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diversity

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 08:38:41 -0700

Hi Eliot,
At 05:19 03-08-2013, Eliot Lear wrote:
>mentioned to me that transcription really helps.  I wonder if you 
>would like to put this on the list of things things to validate.  I 
>recognize that such services are expensive.

I suggested transcription to the IAOC a few years ago.  Nothing was 
done.  I talked to a few people a few months ago and they mentioned 
that it would really help.  In my opinion it is easy to initiate what 
you suggested.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Klaas Wierenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 18:17:35 +0200

Hi,

As a non-native speaker, I understand where this is coming from. I myself feel however typically well served by good slides and perhaps running minutes, they don't have to be verbose for me, but your kilometers may vary :-)
One might argue that, given that the language of choice for the IETF is English (wouldn't it be great to switch to Dutch?) that a certain mastery of that language is needed. I am all for chairs making sure that slides are numbered, clear, no idiom and (I know that is is controversial) contain some introduction to the problem at hand, but the fact is that for a meaningful discussion there needs to be some mutual understanding, unless we would go for simultaneous translation. 
So where is the low hanging fruit that would make life easier immediately? Not sure that that is in transcribing....

Klaas

Sent from my iPad

On 3 aug. 2013, at 14:19, Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [email-masked]

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 16:46:57 -0500

On 8/3/2013 7:19 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
> recognize that such services are expensive.  In fact I used to 
> transcribe for the DKIM working group from time to time (I have this 
> freakish ability to type very fast - ca 135 wpm, people typically 
> speak at 150).  I won't do this for every working group, but I would 
> be willing to do it for *one* I am attending, upon request.  I wonder 
> if others (a) have this ability, and (b) would be willing to offer as 
> well.

I'm thinking that this is another task where Eliot is better than 
Spencer is (seriously), but I took notes at a lot of working group 
meetings for several years, and for most of that time, I don't think I 
missed much (*) (at least thought-for-thought), so there are at least a 
few others who have something like that ability "out there".

Spencer

(*) I'm assuming that if I *was* horrible, chairs wouldn't keep asking 
me to take notes, meeting after meeting :-)