Subject: [Diversity] IETF and IAB efforts (was Diversity team wiki (was Re: Questions from USA Today

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 06:47:06 +0200

Hello Moonesamy,

On Saturday, August 23, 2014, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Hi Abdussalam,
> At 18:05 21-08-2014, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
>
>> I did not understand your point, but I see diversity progress on this
>> list and hope we can get more efforts in meetings as well. The DT wiki may
>> need some updates or amendments.
>>
>
> The point was that I could not find any IAB effort in respect to
> diversity.  I do not think that there will be more efforts in meetings
> given the comments from the last plenary.

IMO, The main issues is that there is no body in the IETF responsible for
making efforts for diversity issues, we just have programs. There is
no IETF WG to promote diversity into IETF systems. So why do we need IAB
efforts if we don't organise our efforts. I think we need organised efforts
first by an IETF WG then we will see more efforts by IAB.

AB

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 01:42:23 -0700

Hi Abdussalam,
At 21:47 24-08-2014, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
>IMO, The main issues is that there is no body in the IETF 
>responsible for making efforts for diversity issues, we just have 
>programs. There is no IETF WG to promote diversity into IETF 
>systems. So why do we need IAB efforts if we don't organise our 
>efforts. I think we need organised efforts first by an IETF WG then 
>we will see more efforts by IAB.

I have not argued that IAB efforts are needed or not needed.

If I understood the paragraph quoted above, what is being suggested 
is that "we need organized efforts first by an IETF WG".  There was a 
message sent to this mailing list on August 4.  That message 
contained an explanation of the steps to create a working group.

The paragraph quoted above mentions that "we have programs".  I 
assume that it refers to "IAB programs".  I took a look at the list 
of IAB programs and I did not find any program related to diversity issues.

It is usually suggested to write an Internet-Draft about a problem or 
a solution.  I understand that a person may be unfamiliar with 
writing an Internet-Draft if he or she has not written one 
before.  An alternative is to write a message which describes the 
problem or the solution.  I'll provide an example; the problem is 
that people from Antarctica are not receiving any acknowledgement in 
RFCs because these people living in Antarctica.  The message or 
Internet-Draft would include information about IETF participants 
living in Antarctica, their IETF Contributions and the RFCs which did 
not contain the acknowledgements.  The person reading the message or 
Internet-Draft would be able to understand whether there is a problem 
affecting people living in Antarctica.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy