Subject: [dns-dir] FW: WG Review: Recharter of Inter-Domain Routing (idr)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:16:38 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 9:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Inter-Domain Routing (idr) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Inter-Domain Routing (idr)
working group in the Routing Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made
any determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, February 16, 2010.

Inter-Domain Routing (idr)
-----------------------------
Last Modified: 2010-02-04

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/idr

Chair(s):
- Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
- John Scudder <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
- Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
- Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
- Ross Callon <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe idr-post
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Inter-Domain Routing Working Group is chartered to standardize,
develop, and support the Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGP-4) [RFC
4271] capable of supporting policy based routing for TCP/IP internets.

The main objective of the working group is to support the use of
BGP-4 by IP version 4 and IP version 6 networks. The working group will
also continue to work on improving the robustness and scalability of
BGP.

IDR will review extensions made to BGP in other working groups at least
at WG document adoption and during working group last calls. The IDR
working group will also provide advice and guidance on BGP to other
working groups as requested.

Work Items:

The IDR working group will work on correctness, robustness and
scalability of the BGP protocol, as well as clarity and accuracy of the
BGP document set. The group will also work on extensions beyond these
areas when specifically added to the charter. The current additional
work items are:

- Relax the definition of BGP identifiers to only require AS-wide
uniqueness. This change must be made in a backward compatible way.

- Specify a means to non-disruptively introduce new BGP Capabilities to
an existing BGP session.

- Upgrade of the base BGP specification to Full Standard

- Define AS_PATH based Outbound Route Filtering.

- MIB v2 for BGP-4

- Augment the BGP multiprotocol extensions to support the use of
multiple concurrent sessions between a given pair of BGP speakers.
Each session is used to transport routes related by some session- based
attribute such as AFI/SAFI. This will provide an alternative to the
MP-BGP approach of multiplexing all routes onto a single connection.

- Support for four-octet AS Numbers in BGP.

- Revisions to the BGP 'Minimum Route Advertisement Interval'
deprecating the previously recommended values and allowing for
withdrawals to be exempted from the MRAI.

- Advertisement of multiple paths for the same address prefix without
the new paths implicitly replacing any previous ones. Each path is
identified by a path identifier in addition to the address prefix.

- Revised error handling rules for optional transitive BGP attributes so
that a BGP speaker is no longer required to reset the session over which
a malformed attribute is received. Provide guidelines for authors of
documents that define new optional transitive attributes, and re-assess
procedures for existing optional transitive attributes

- Specify Link Bandwidth Extended Community for use in unequal cost load
balancing.

- The definition of an "Accumulated IGP Metric" attribute for BGP to
report the sum of the metric of each link along the path.
This attribute is for use in a restricted environment where:
- all ASes are subject to the administrative control
- some form of tunneling is used to deliver a packet to its next BGP hop
- where the path for a route leads outside the AS to which the BGP
speaker adding the attribute belongs.

- Advertisement of the best external route in BGP to assist with
resolution of the next hop in the chosen data plane.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Submit to BGP Capability Advertisement to the IESG Done Submit BGP
Security Vulnerabilities Analysis to IESG as an Informational Done
Submit BGP4 MIB to IESG as a Proposed Standard Done Submit BGP4 document
to IESG as a Draft Standard Done Submit Extended Communities draft to
IESG as a Proposed Standard Done Submit BGP Graceful Restart to IESG as
a Proposed Standard Done Submit revised text on Multi-Protocol BGP
(rfc2858bis) to IESG as a Draft Standard Done Submit Subcodes for BGP
Cease Notification Message to IESG as a Proposed Standard Done Submit
4-byte AS ID to IESG as a Proposed Standard Done Submit Outbound Route
Filter and Prefix ORF draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard Done Prefix
and ASpath ORF draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard Aug 2010 Submit
AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4 as a Proposed Standard Aug 2010
Submit Dynamic Capability for BGP-4 to IESG as a Proposed Standard Aug
2010 ASpath ORF draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard Aug 2010 Submit MIB
v2 for BGP-4 as a Proposed Standard Nov 2010 BGP Support for Four-octet
AS Number Space (revised version) Nov 2010 Revisions to the BGP 'Minimum
Route Advertisement Interval'
Nov 2010 Advertisement of Multiple Paths in BGP Nov 2010 BGP Link
Bandwidth Extended Community Nov 2010 Advertisement of the best external
route in BGP Dec 2010 Submit Multisession BGP as a Proposed Standard Dec
2010 Error Handling for Optional Transitive BGP Attributes Dec 2010
ASpath ORF Dec 2010 Revise WG charter Mar 2011 The Accumulated IGP
Metric Attribute for BGP Mar 2011 Base BGP specification (RFC 4271) as
Full Standard