Subject: [dns-dir] Final text to be sent to ICANN

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:40:51 -0400

Dear colleagues,

I've bcc:d people, because I hate sending others' email addresses
around, but I think everyone here could probably figure out how to
mail one another if need be.

You are receiving this either because you have said to me that you
want your name included on the bottom of the message to be sent to
ICANN about the synchronized domain plan, or else because you've been
involved in the discussion and your intentions about including your
name were not clear to me.  (The only people who fall into the latter
category are members of the dns-dir list.)

I attach the latest version of the response to ICANN.  It includes as
subscribers everyone who has told me at one point or the other to
include their name.  I believe that each of you has seen a draft very
close to this final version, but I want to make sure I haven't made
any change that any of you is unable to support.

If you are still happy with the enclosed version, please let me know.
I will remove the name of anyone who has not responded positively to
me by tomorrow, 2010-04-14, at 22:00 UTC (18:00 Eastern Daylight
time).

If your name is _not_ on here, and you want it to be, you need to tell
me that also by tomorrow at 22:00 UTC.  I want to make sure these
comments are available prior to the ICANN Webinar on 15 April.

I have spelled your names as they appear in From: lines in email from
you, so if you use localized characters that way it should show up
here.  If your name does not appear as you'd prefer, and you want me
to correct it, please let me know.

Unless someone spots an egregious error, I'd like not to fiddle too
much with this text any more.  So unless you think it's really super
important that something be changed, I'd like it if we left things
alone.

Thanks to each of you for your help in composing this reply to ICANN.

Best,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:59:19 -0400

I would encourage folk to sign this, even if they don't have strong
feelings.

Look at this as a "me too" on an IETF mailing list where you agree
with someone's issues raised during LC or discussion.

The way one formally participates in ICANN is via the public comment
process. In the IETF, you just send email. But the purpose is the
same, and there is no need to view the formality as being a "higher
bar" than what we do in the IETF.

And if no one comments, or only the wrong (as in clue challenged) folk
comment, ICANN finds itself in the awkward position of not being able
to do the right thing because they can't point to the issue being
raised during the public comment process. 

Thomas