Subject: [mdnsext] Revised draft charter for dnssdext
From: "Ralph Droms (rdroms)" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked] mdnsext" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 01:02:10 +0000
List-Id: "Discussion of extensions to Bonjour \(mDNS and DNS-SD\) for routed networks." <mdnsext.ietf.org>

I've attached a new charter for the proposed dnssdext WG, revised according to the discussion at the BoF in Berlin.  I've also attached a diff from the charter text from the BoF wiki.  Comments describing the revisions are included below.

Please review and comment...

- Ralph

Name changed to "Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery"

Background:

- Added a paragraph to capture both zeroconf and administratively
  configured requirement
- Added a paragraph on backward compatibility, whether the solution is
  an extension or something new.
- Added a paragraph about backward compatibility with DNS-SD/mDNS and
  avoiding conflicts or interference with other protocols such as uPnP
  and LLMNR
- Added a paragraph about focus on SD and only documenting naming
  issues.

Goals:

- Updated the scenarios to be addressed by the requirements document
- Added a comment about remote/co-resident SD as per the BoF
  discussion.
- Added a note about scopes, as raised in the BoF.

2) Solution comments:

- Changed "wide-area" for text that suggests non-neighbouring
  links, as that phrase was called out in the BoF.
- added Toerless's interfaces comment.

3) Informational problems doc comments:

- Again, removed "wide-area"

Deliverables:

- Changed text to emphasise the 3rd deliverable is documenting
  problems arising, and does not provide a proposal for the
  integration for mDNS and global DNS name spaces (which was pushed
  back on at the BoF) - that would be work done elsewhere.
- Again removed "wide area".

Milestones:

- Pushed the early milestones out a little and fixed the integration
  draft description (as Informational not BCP).