Subject: [dnssd] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-05: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 07:12:44 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The IETF should definitively focus on this problem space. Thanks.

Some comments below:

- I agree with Martin's comment.

- Section 4, REQ8 looks a very fundemental requirement for all service
discovery mechanism. It does not look like a specific requirement for
SSD

- Some of the requirements will be hard to fulfill, if taken literally: 
   REQ9:   SSD should operate efficiently on common link layers and link
           types.

   REQ12:  SSD should enable a way to provide a consistent user
           experience whether local or remote services are being
           discovered.

- Very surprised that the Security Considerations don't lead to formal
requirements
For example, in connection with "6.1 Scope of Discovery" and "6.5 Access
Control", I was expecting a requirement such as
   REQXX:  the owner of the advertised service must be able to configure
whether his service should be advertised beyond the local link

The way the requirements are specified: all services will be visible to
everybody, and the access control will accept/reject the service request.
That reminds me of the typical airport wireless situation: you try every
wireless network to see which one will accept you.