Subject: [dnssd] Protocol Action: 'DNS Push Notifications' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dnssd-push-25.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 18:38:59 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DNS Push Notifications'
  (draft-ietf-dnssd-push-25.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service
Discovery Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Éric Vyncke and Suresh Krishnan.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-push/

Technical Summary

   The Domain Name System (DNS) was designed to return matching records
   efficiently for queries for data that is relatively static.  When
   those records change frequently, DNS is still efficient at returning
   the updated results when polled, as long as the polling rate is not
   too high.  But there exists no mechanism for a client to be
   asynchronously notified when these changes occur.  This document
   defines a mechanism for a client to be notified of such changes to
   DNS records, called DNS Push Notifications.

Working Group Summary

  The significant thing was the initial version of the draft had both protocols
  and process.  The decision was made after discussion with DNSOP, to split
  this work into a separate draft and the protocol work into
  draft-ietf-dnsop-session-signal, which is now RFC8490.

Document Quality

  The documents is of good quality.  There currently is some non-published
  implementations.  The reviews on this document were vigorous and thorough.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd is Tim Wicinski.
  Area Director is Éric Vyncke.

IANA Note

  New entries to be added in two existing registries.

RFC Editor Note

  This document is part of C367 (where draft-sekar-dns-llq will be added as soon as the IESG agrees that there is no conflict) and the ideal RFC ordering should be:
1) RFC n is draft-sekar-dns-llq Independent Stream (Informational)
2) RFC n+1 is draft-ietf-dnssd-push (successor to LLQ) this document
3) RFC n+2 is draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid (depends on draft-ietf-dnssd-push) already in C367 for months