Subject: [dnssd] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-04.txt> (DNS-SD Privacy and Security Requirements) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 06:08:28 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service
Discovery WG (dnssd) to consider the following document: - 'DNS-SD Privacy
and Security Requirements'
  <draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-04.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-02-12. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   DNS-SD (DNS Service Discovery) normally discloses information about
   devices offering and requesting services.  This information includes
   host names, network parameters, and possibly a further description of
   the corresponding service instance.  Especially when mobile devices
   engage in DNS Service Discovery at a public hotspot, serious privacy
   problems arise.  We analyze the requirements of a privacy respecting
   discovery service.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.