Subject: Re: [domainrep] COAP implementations and cart before horse

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Dec 2011 15:52:00 -0000

Having looked fairly briefly at some COAP documents, I can't help but
note that it's all drafts.  Is it actually done?  Implemented on the
kinds of computers on which people run mail software?  Are there
client and server libraries for Windows, Linux, and xBSD?  I see
libcoap which is supposed to work on Linux, but I see nothing in the
FreeBSD ports library.

Regardless of how wonderful it may be in theory, I don't think we'd
be doing anyone any favors by specifying a protocol that people
can't use on the computers where they need to use it.

Seems to me that it would be a lot more productive at this point to
agreee that we have placeholders for a query scheme that is relatively
slow but can return large responses, and a query scheme that is fast
but responses have to be smallish.  Maybe they'll be HTTP and DNS,
maybe something else, but we can't really say until we understand what
we want them to do.

R's,
John

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:40:47 -0700

On 12/15/11 8:52 AM, John Levine wrote:
> note that it's all drafts.  Is it actually done? 

The CoAP protocol is pretty stable. There's some wrangling over MTI
security mechanisms because of the constrained devices for which it was
designed.

> Implemented 

There are lots of implementations.

> on the
> kinds of computers on which people run mail software? 

We'd need to check.

> Are there

Something to follow up on with implementers.

> maybe something else, but we can't really say until we understand what

That seems reasonable.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:51:42 -0800

>> >  maybe something else, but we can't really say until we understand what

+1

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: "Silberman, Sam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:03:25 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of John Levine
> Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:52 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [domainrep] COAP implementations and cart before horse
> 
> 
+1

-Sam

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:14:14 -0500

> maybe something else, but we can't really say until we understand what

seems reasonable to just mark where a stake in the ground needs to go 
and not worry about the color or length of the stake for now.

+1

     Tony Hansen