Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Emergency location alternative: outbound proxy adding location in formation

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:40:31 -0500

At 03:23 PM 4/14/2005 +0200, Bemmel, Jeroen van (Jeroen) wrote:

>
>The proxy could add a header, e.g.: Emergency-Location: lat=1.2345; 
>long=6.789; postal=xxxx; certainty=500m
>It should probably also refer to the source of this information, e.g. the 
>URI of the responsible administrator. This location information could be 
>preconfigured in the proxy.

Adding "location" as a header has been in SIPPING for a few years as a 
discussion point of the ID
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-location-requirements-02.txt

and has been dismissed by the WG and the Transport Area Director.

I am moving that ID over to SIP very shortly (because it is actually 
modifying the protocol slightly), and you're welcome to start another 
thread about this there. It should appear there within a week.

>
>A second issue is that the proxy could be provisioned with the address of 
>the emergency center to contact for emergency calls.

My proxy can always be in Dallas, though I might be traveling in Europe and 
call 911.  This is one of the points that's made when folks say "you can 
never rely on the location of the proxy relative to where the UAC/user is". 
There really is no bind between the two.

>
>Regards,
>
>Jeroen van Bemmel, Lucent Technologies Bell Labs
>_______________________________________________
>Ecrit mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

cheers,
James

                                *******************
                 Truth is not to be argued... it is to be presented

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:57:55 -0400

It may well be that, given intervening work on identity and other SIP 
components, that some of these issues are no longer relevant.