Subject: [Ecrit] D5

From: "Marc Linsner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:58:07 -0400

Call setup latency: The ECRIT mechanism MUST minimize the added call setup
time such that the user experience does not perceive abnormal delay.

Motivation: The additional properties of emergency calling include the need
to route the call based on the user location.  It is possible that the ECRIT
mechanism will add to the call setup time when compared to non-emergency
call setup latency.  PSTN experience has shown that the end user will
abandon a call setup if they perceive that the call setup is not progressing
in timely manner.  This action is exacerbated when a user is dealing with an
emergency situation.  If the ECRIT mechanism increases call setup times by
factors of 1.5 or more, the user experience may be impacted such that calls
are abandoned prematurely.  Although hard numbers are not offered, the user
should perceive no additional call setup time when using the ECRIT mechanism
compared to establishing non-emergency calls.  

-Marc-

Marc Linsner
Consulting Engineer - Corporate Development
Cisco Systems, Inc.
+1-239-272-2105

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit