Subject: RE: [Ecrit] Re: Review of draft-ietf-ecrit-service-urn-02 (sos.police)

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:13:56 -0400

I am sorry, but I find this logic questionable.

There is a clear need.  If you have a way to dial them now, and any of
them need accurate location based routing, then we need services for
them.  You can't say because there are more than 2 of them it's too
hard.

OTOH, it will be easy to add them, so we can punt for now

Brian
-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Newton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 10:18 AM
To: Henning Schulzrinne
Cc: Rosen, Brian; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Re: Review of draft-ietf-ecrit-service-urn-02
(sos.police)

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
> Thus, I suspect you have to try to find designations that are 
> geographically-independent, such as
>   police. transportation
>   police. border
>   police. campus
>   police. public-housing
>   police. terrorism
> 
> It is not clear to me that this is practically useful, as most people 
> who need to know will be asking for ATF or FBI, rather than trying to 
> guess which label applies to which service. Others will only need 
> 'police' and then be transferred to the right agency. In the US, there

> are likely going to be several competing agencies :-)

I totally agree.  I also can't imagine the user interface being all that

helpful in an emergency situation by offering a slew of sub-police 
function categories.

> 
> Do we want to do this now or wait until the need arises?

Wait.

-andy

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:23:54 -0400

I think in some cases, a two-layer model may work better where services 
are not easily categorized by simple labels:

- Query for service urn:service:police.directory (or something like that)

- Get a search interface where you can type in "FBI" or "narcotics". The 
search interface would be suitably geographically tailored so that 
"county sheriff" returns your county sheriff, not somebody from another 
state.

This is similar to the approach used in big cities. In NYC, you call 
311, rather than trying to figure out which of the hundreds of agencies 
serves your particular non-emergency need.

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:30:42 -0400

> OTOH, it will be easy to add them, so we can punt for now

Ok.  Let's compromise for now and add them later if they are needed.

-andy