Subject: RE: [Ecrit] Rechartering Discussion

From: "McCalmont, Patti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:06:49 -0500

Hi Hannes,

On the item listed below, how do you think this will relate to work
going in other organizations such as 3GPP(already have a draft started),
ESIF, PTSC and others? Is it really an architecture document since
IETF's focus is on defining protocols? Should this really be an item
addressed here? The other SDOs are looking at using protocols defined
within ECRIT but working out the architectures of how they fit into
their own networks.

Guess I'm wondering if this item should really be part of this charter.

Patti

>TBD TBD           An Informational document describing the ECRIT 
>Architecture

>(Example documents are draft-schulzrinne-sipping-emergency-arch-02.txt 
>and draft-polk-newton-ecrit-arch-considerations-02.txt)

Please note that the milestone date is missing for the last 3 items. I 
would like to solicit input from the group: When can we finish these 
documents?

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:54:21 +0200

Hi Patti,

the document that is going to be produced by the design team should
provide information about the interation between the different
protocols/extensions we are developing and reusing (e.g., Geopriv and
SIP stuff).  

For example, draft-polk-newton-ecrit-arch-considerations-02.txt already
describes the different steps that might need to be executed. We
essentially describe these steps in more detail.

Another example can be found in the protocol interactions we discussed
at the ECRIT session at IETF#65 as part of Henning's presentation:
(slide 3 - slide 5)
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/slides/ecrit-3/sld1.htm

A document with such a content is, in my view, an 'architecture'
document. We could also call it 'framework' if this is a less overloaded
term. 

Although the details of the document are for further study we are
basically going to capture what we discussed during the last year (plus
a number of new things that will come up with the ongoing work). There
is currently no document that describes the big picture.  Several
working group members repeately asked for such a document and hence we
are going to work on it.  I think it is a very reasonable to capture
these discussions and we have support from our AD todo it. 

Ciao
Hannes

PS: The design team might also want to take a look at the work done by
the 3GPP and other organizations, for example. 

> >(Example documents are 
> draft-schulzrinne-sipping-emergency-arch-02.txt

---

From: "McCalmont, Patti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:34:38 -0500

Then perhaps the charter task should be - ECRIT protocol Interaction and
Consideration document. IMO, architecture means a lot more.

Patti

-----Original Message-----
From: Tschofenig, Hannes [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:54 AM
To: McCalmont, Patti; Hannes Tschofenig; [email-masked]
Subject: AW: [Ecrit] Rechartering Discussion

Hi Patti,

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:30:54 +0200

Hi Patti, 

"ECRIT Framework" document sounds nicer than "ECRIT protocol Interaction and Consideration" document

Ciao
Hannes

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: McCalmont, Patti [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 20. April 2006 15:35
> An: Tschofenig, Hannes; [email-masked]
> Betreff: RE: [Ecrit] Rechartering Discussion
> 
> For example, 
> draft-polk-newton-ecrit-arch-considerations-02.txt already

---

From: "McCalmont, Patti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:33:35 -0500

You're right. Let's use framework.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Tschofenig, Hannes [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:31 AM
To: McCalmont, Patti; [email-masked]
Subject: AW: [Ecrit] Rechartering Discussion

Hi Patti, 

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:07:06 -0500

Patti

This ECRIT Architecture document is the IETF's take on how we developed the 
LoST protocol, Emergency Call Identification and the PhoneBCP - under what 
conditions, what we looked at, what we discounted and why, etc.  That is 
not the job of NENA or ESIF or ETSI or PacketCable.  Of course each of 
those SDOs can do their take on emergency calling too.  But for anyone just 
looking at the IETF, to figure out what this WG was thinking, this concept 
needs to be captured in an overarching document.

I prefer a doc title of "ECRIT Architecture" to what you have below.

---

From: "McCalmont, Patti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:14:30 -0500

Actually, I prefer what Hannes suggested - ECRIT Framework.

Are you OK with that?

Patti

-----Original Message-----
From: James M. Polk [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:07 PM
To: McCalmont, Patti
Cc: Tschofenig, Hannes; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] Rechartering Discussion

Patti

This ECRIT Architecture document is the IETF's take on how we developed
the 
LoST protocol, Emergency Call Identification and the PhoneBCP - under
what 
conditions, what we looked at, what we discounted and why, etc.  That is

not the job of NENA or ESIF or ETSI or PacketCable.  Of course each of 
those SDOs can do their take on emergency calling too.  But for anyone
just 
looking at the IETF, to figure out what this WG was thinking, this
concept 
needs to be captured in an overarching document.

---

From: "GOLDMAN, STUART O (STUART)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:30:07 -0700

Folks,

Since we are tasked to develop a high level view, perhaps framework might a bit better convey that task than architecture would.

Stuart Goldman
Lucent Technologies
[email-masked]
602 493 8438

-----Original Message-----
From: McCalmont, Patti [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 12:15 PM
To: James M. Polk
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] Rechartering Discussion

Are you OK with that?

Patti

-----Original Message-----
From: James M. Polk [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:07 PM
To: McCalmont, Patti
Cc: Tschofenig, Hannes; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] Rechartering Discussion

Patti