Subject: [Ecrit] RE: Review of draft-ietf-ecrit-service-urn-02 (lawyers)

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:59:46 -0400

But I didn't. 

There is an actual better example.  In the U.S., there is a single 800
number for poison control, 1-800-222-1222.  It "routes" to the "nearest"
poison control center.  Of course, the routing is not accurate, it
depends on rate center of caller.  It would be better if there was
accurate routing.

There is no short code for poison control, there is only the 800 number.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 9:24 PM
To: Rosen, Brian
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Review of draft-ietf-ecrit-service-urn-02 (lawyers)

Maybe part of the confusion is that I meant this as an analogy. In  
other words, I don't this literally as translating an E.164 number.  
Rather, this 800# has the same properties as 411 or 911: The phone  
system uses location-related information (caller phone number or  
location) to select one of several possible destinations.

In the service URN case, the N11 and 1-800-something cases would be  
treated similarly, as

urn:service:lawyer

in this case.

On Apr 10, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Rosen, Brian wrote:

> Re: 1-800-LAWYER.  The number you gave (1-800-Lawyer) is an e.164
> telephone number.  To make this work using service urns, you would  
> have
> to have the result of an enum dip for this number result in a urn that
> is not currently a valid enum service.  However, if you did make a new
> service, it would work:
>
> e.164 is looked up in enum
> result is service urn
> urn is mapped with LoST
> call is sent where indicated, based on location of caller.
>
> Now, the caller would have to voluntarily put location on the call for
> this to work.

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit