Subject: [Ecrit] specifying holes in polygons

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:29:13 -0600

Hi All,

I was updating the PIDF-LO profile draft when it occurred to me that we
do not have any examples of how one might specify holes in a polygon.
When you are specifying your own location, as is likely to be the case
with a PIDF-LO, I am not convinced that this is a terribly useful thing
to be able to do. When specifying a service boundary map I can see that
it may be an essential thing to do.

For example, I want to specify the boundary for Italy, but I want to
exclude the Vatican. This would be a hole.

I considered putting this an appendix to PIDF-LO profile, but I think
that it would be more useful in a document that talks about specifying
service map boundaries and the associated schema for these interchanges.
The closest document that I could find was
draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-lost-sync-00.txt.

I would be interested in hearing what the rest of the community thought
on this idea.

Cheers
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Haberler Michael <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:59:08 +0100

> it may be an essential thing to do.

yes it is, we have discovered several such cases in Austrian data so  
far, in particular around larger cities.

My assumption was that the proper datatype is in fact "multipolygon".

-Michael

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:49:34 -0500

Agree: no holes when reporting location, holes allowed when reporting
service boundaries.

Also note you only need one "shape" for position, and a set of shapes for
boundaries (not only holes, but multiple islands).

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Winterbottom, James [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 12:29 AM
> To: ECRIT; GEOPRIV WG
> Subject: [Geopriv] specifying holes in polygons
> 
> Hi All,
> 
> Geopriv mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv