Subject: [Ecrit] enterprise requirements

From: Mohammad Vakil <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:14:18 -0700

Has there been any work in this wg to address enterprise requirements. E.g. be able to allow on-premise security to tap E.911 call, know the location of the caller, or first route it to on-premise security, etc?

Thanks,
-Mohammad
_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Marc Linsner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:17:52 -0400

Has there been any work in this wg to address enterprise requirements. E.g.
be able to allow on-premise security to tap E.911 call, know the location of
the caller, or first route it to on-premise security, etc? 

There has been nothing to prevent such from happening.  It should be an
implementation and/of regulatory choice.

-Marc-

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:30:41 -0400

I think the direction we are going will allow all of this.

The primary way I think this will evolve in North America is to always send
the call direct to 9-1-1, and send a notification to the local enterprise.
The enterprise could ask to be included on the call.  It would get location
with the notification.

The 9-1-1 people really believe that first getting to local (campus)
security and then to 9-1-1 wastes time.  They want the local security on the
line in most cases, because they may be able to respond faster.  "In an
emergency, please contact" mechanisms are a part of what we call NG9-1-1 in
North America.

However, if the local access network returns a local URI for the local
environment, the call will go there.  If, in particular, the enterprise is
authoritative for the local environment, even mobile carriers could get
routing from it, and calls would go to the enterprise.  I suspect not many
carriers would permit that, but the system could support it.

Brian

  _____  

From: Marc Linsner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 4:18 PM
To: 'Mohammad Vakil'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] enterprise requirements

-Marc-

---

From: Mohammad Vakil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:48:41 -0700

Brian,

Is there any one agreed upon mechanism (or anything under discussion) for sending this "notification" to the local enterprise security? And sending location along with this "notification"? What if they want to also barge in an on-going call with PSAP?

I know there're ways to do these, but would be nice to agree on a way of doing this.

Thanks,
-Mohammad

From: Brian Rosen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 1:31 PM
To: 'Marc Linsner'; Mohammad Vakil; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] enterprise requirements

The primary way I think this will evolve in North America is to always send the call direct to 9-1-1, and send a notification to the local enterprise.  The enterprise could ask to be included on the call.  It would get location with the notification.

The 9-1-1 people really believe that first getting to local (campus) security and then to 9-1-1 wastes time.  They want the local security on the line in most cases, because they may be able to respond faster.  "In an emergency, please contact" mechanisms are a part of what we call NG9-1-1 in North America.

However, if the local access network returns a local URI for the local environment, the call will go there.  If, in particular, the enterprise is authoritative for the local environment, even mobile carriers could get routing from it, and calls would go to the enterprise.  I suspect not many carriers would permit that, but the system could support it.

Brian

________________________________

There has been nothing to prevent such from happening.  It should be an implementation and/of regulatory choice.

-Marc-

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:20:49 -0400

There will be a defined place to put things that are specifically about a
call, and about a location.  In the case you are discussing, it's probably
additional information the location, so that any call from the enterprise,
regardless of carrier or caller gets the treatment.  The mechanism for
additional information about location is another LoST service.  The
resulting URI will point to an XML data structure that defines all sorts of
location related data, of which this is one.  Building floor plans, elevator
state, surveillance video, etc will be included in this data structure as
well as "In emergency, please notify..".  

The local security won't be able to "barge in", but the call taker will be
alerted that they request to be added, and the system will be able to add
them if the call taker agrees (there is also an overriding per-PSAP policy
decision that controls whether this function is available).

The thing that is not defined is the XML data structure.  I'm not sure yet
where we will do this.  If no better venue occurs, we will do it in NENA.

Brian

  _____  

From: Mohammad Vakil [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 2:49 PM
To: Brian Rosen; 'Marc Linsner'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] enterprise requirements

Brian, 

Is there any one agreed upon mechanism (or anything under discussion) for
sending this "notification" to the local enterprise security? And sending
location along with this "notification"? What if they want to also barge in
an on-going call with PSAP? 

I know there're ways to do these, but would be nice to agree on a way of
doing this. 

Thanks,

-Mohammad 

Brian

  _____  

 

-Marc-