Subject: [Ecrit] ECRIT WG Status Update (June 2007)

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:54:27 +0200

Hi all,

We have been sleeping now for a month. Now it is time to start our work 
again.
This write-up can also be found here: 
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/twiki/bin/view/EmergencyServices/EcritStatusUpdate

There are essentially the following major items to talk about:

* Working Group Items

The requirements draft, the service URN draft and the security threats 
draft are in IESG processing and doing fine.

LoST is essentially done (unless we want to add a new location profile 
to provide the location hiding aspect).

The phone BCP, mapping architecture and the framework documents are 
impacted by the ongoing architecture discussions. We could finish these 
documents based on our current understanding of the architecture and 
work on documents covering the other aspects later (also since 
extensions are potentially outside the current charter).

* Location Hiding

This aspect has caused a lot of discussion and we have seen many, many 
solution proposals. At the end the group focused on a small number of 
them that can be found here:
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/twiki/bin/view/EmergencyServices/LocationHiding

To restart the discussion Henning and myself have written a short draft 
that can be found here:
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/twiki/pub/EmergencyServices/LocationHiding/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-lost-in-held-00.txt

We intentially did not publish the draft for the following reasons:
* Many working group members have very actively contributed to the 
discussions and it would be unfair to publish the document with our 
names on it only.
* There are many solutions and many variations of the solutions 
possible. We would like to avoid 15+ draft submissions
to the working group since this would only slow down the progress.

Given that more discussions are necessary I would suggest to finish LoST 
as is and then deal with this aspect as an extension. After the 
discussions progress sufficiently the chairs will pick some draft 
authors to compile a write-up of the
discussion.

* Unauthenticated Network Access

This topic has not seen enough attention from the group. I have sent two 
mails about it in the past to raise a discussion. It seems that many 
SDOs develop solutions for the unauthenticated network access case, 
including IEEE, 3GPP, 3GPP2 and TISPAN.

We believe we should also have a story for it. Since it will take some 
time to discuss these aspects it might be reasonable to decouple them 
from the current framework and phone BCP discussion. It is also not sure 
whether the regulator will demand support for it.
 
* Liaisons and Interworking with other SDOs

3GPP:
It would be good to figure out how to align our work with the 3GPP 
emergency architecture work, if possible.

IEEE:
We need reviewers for their documents:
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/twiki/bin/view/EmergencyServices/ReviewIEEEDocuments

A discussion about the open issues from the IETF ECRIT / IEEE 
Information Sharing Event @ IETF#68 is also needed. I will ping Stephen 
McCann about this issue.

ATIS ESIF:
We haven't responded to the ATIS ESIF document liaison request.

The last two items need to be done in coorperation with the GEOPRIV 
working group.

* Next SDO Emergency Services Workshop

Planning for the next workshop will start soon. Status updates will be 
sent to this mailing list 
https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/es-coordination.

Ciao
Hannes & Marc

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit