Subject: [Ecrit] FW: [New-work] OMA New Work - 1 New Work Item Approved - Location inSIP/IP core

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:21:53 +0200

________________________________

From: Victoria Gray [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 3:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [New-work] OMA New Work - 1 New Work Item Approved - Location
inSIP/IP core

Dear All,

OMA would like to inform all the organisations subscribed to the IETF
new-work list of the approval of 1 new work item:

1 Location in SIP/IP Core WI:

http://www.openmobilealliance.org/ftp/Public_documents/TP/Permanent_docu
ments/OMA-WID_0149-LOCSIP-V1_0-20070704-A.zip
<http://www.openmobilealliance.org/ftp/Public_documents/TP/Permanent_doc
uments/OMA-WID_0149-LOCSIP-V1_0-20070704-A.zip> 

Background : OMA has developed various enablers related to location. The
MLS enabler has the main purpose to define protocols for exposure of
terminal location to applications but do not define any positioning
determination mechanisms. SUPL on the other hand defines procedures and
protocols for positioning determination of a terminal utilizing an IP
connection between server and terminal. Both enablers are to some extent
prepared for use in a SIP context e.g. by allowing use of SIP-URI
identities. None of them do however support exposure of terminal
location to an application within a SIP/IP core network (one example of
such a network is an IP Multimedia Subsystem). The implication of this
is that a  SIP Application Server needing location information to
enhance its services needs to implement one or more non-SIP interfaces
to Location Servers. By instead defining an interface & procedure using
SIP, additional interface technologies can be avoided and routing and
addressing mechanisms in the SIP/IP Core as well as existing SIP based
OMA enablers (such as XDM) can be reused.

Objective: The purpose of this work item is to specify a service enabler
for exposing location information to applications in a SIP/IP core
network (e.g an IP Multimedia Subsystem). The service enabler is to be
specified as a reusable network component in a SIP/IP core network,
capable of receiving and responding to location subscriptions over a
standardised SIP-based interface. Handling of the location specific
functions within a SIP/IP core  is to be specified but positioning
determination functions within SIP/IP core are out of scope. The LOCSIP
enabler will take into account the OMA MLS enabler. 

The enabler shall specifically consider interworking with other OMA
enablers that potentially utilize location information e.g. Presence
SIMPLE and PoC. The resulting specification shall preferably reuse
available IETF specifications e.g. IETF Geopriv deliverables. 

Location in SIP/IP core enabler implementations may interwork with
applicable positioning determination functions in access networks and/or
at UE. Possible positioning determination functions depend on support in
IP-CAN and UEs, but are expected to at least include 3GPP/3GPP2 LCS and
OMA SUPL (Secure User Plane Location).

This work item has been allocated to the OMA LOC (Location) WG for
specification development.

Best regards,

Victoria Gray on behalf of OMA.

Victoria Gray
FORApolis / DSO
Tel +33 (0)4 92 94 49 23
Fax +33 (0)4 92 38 49 23
GSM +33 (0)6 73 99 62 90
[email-masked]
 
MSN: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Yahoo!: bluevicci
Skype: victoria-gray  Google: [email-masked]
 
_______________________________________________
New-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work
_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 20:33:32 +0200

Hi Dan,

thanks for posting this to the list.

I wonder whether there is awareness of the work related to

* SIP Location Conveyance
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sip/draft-ietf-sip-location-conveyance/
* The ability to use the notify/subscribe concept for obtaining a PIDF-LO
* A Document Format for Filtering and Reporting Location Notications in
   the Presence Information Document Format Location Object (PIDF-LO)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-loc-filters-01.txt

Maybe it is good to start an interaction between SIP & GEOPRIV and the 
OMA Location Group.

Ciao
Hannes

Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:55:02 -0500

How is this different than the SIP Location Conveyance ID (that's past WGLC)?

Or is this just competing for the same space?

At 07:21 AM 7/9/2007, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
>----------
>Subject: [New-work] OMA New Work - 1 New Work Item Approved - 
>Location inSIP/IP core
>
>Dear All,
>
>OMA would like to inform all the organisations subscribed to the 
>IETF new-work list of the approval of 1 new work item:
>
><http://www.openmobilealliance.org/ftp/Public_documents/TP/Permanent_documents/OMA-WID_0149-LOCSIP-V1_0-20070704-A.zip>http://www.openmobilealliance.org/ftp/Public_documents/TP/Permanent_documents/OMA-WID_0149-LOCSIP-V1_0-20070704-A.zip
>
>Background : OMA has developed various enablers related to location. 
>The MLS enabler has the main purpose to define protocols for 
>exposure of terminal location to applications but do not define any 
>positioning determination mechanisms. SUPL on the other hand defines 
>procedures and protocols for positioning determination of a terminal 
>utilizing an IP connection between server and terminal. Both 
>enablers are to some extent prepared for use in a SIP context e.g. 
>by allowing use of SIP-URI identities. None of them do however 
>support exposure of terminal location to an application within a 
>SIP/IP core network (one example of such a network is an IP 
>Multimedia Subsystem). The implication of this is that a  SIP 
>Application Server needing location information to enhance its 
>services needs to implement one or more non-SIP interfaces to 
>Location Servers. By instead defining an interface & procedure using 
>SIP, additional interface technologies can be avoided and routing 
>and addressing mechanisms in the SIP/IP Core as well as existing SIP 
>based OMA enablers (such as XDM) can be reused.
>
>Objective: The purpose of this work item is to specify a service 
>enabler for exposing location information to applications in a 
>SIP/IP core network (e.g an IP Multimedia Subsystem). The service 
>enabler is to be specified as a reusable network component in a 
>SIP/IP core network, capable of receiving and responding to location 
>subscriptions over a standardised SIP-based interface. Handling of 
>the location specific functions within a SIP/IP core  is to be 
>specified but positioning determination functions within SIP/IP core 
>are out of scope. The LOCSIP enabler will take into account the OMA 
>MLS enabler.
>
>applicable positioning determination functions in access networks 
>and/or at UE. Possible positioning determination functions depend on 
>support in IP-CAN and UEs, but are expected to at least include 
>3GPP/3GPP2 LCS and OMA SUPL (Secure User Plane Location).
>
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
>
>MSN: 
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] 
>Yahoo!: bluevicci
>Skype: victoria-gray  Google: <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
>