Subject: [Ecrit] [Fwd: Protocol Action: 'A Uniform Resource Name (URN) for Emergency and Other Well-Known Services' to Proposed Standard]

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:27:15 +0200

Great news!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Protocol Action: 'A Uniform Resource Name (URN) for Emergency 
and Other Well-Known Services' to Proposed Standard
Date: 	Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:56:19 -0400
From: 	The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: 	IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: 	Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>, RFC Editor 
<[email-masked]>, ecrit mailing list <[email-masked]>, ecrit 
chair <[email-masked]>

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Uniform Resource Name (URN) for Emergency and Other Well-Known 
   Services '
   <draft-ietf-ecrit-service-urn-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Emergency Context Resolution with 
Internet Technologies Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ecrit-service-urn-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
The content of many communication services depends on the context, such as
the user's location.  The Service URN document describes a 'service' URN
that allows to identify context-dependent services that can be resolved in
a distributed manner.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The subject of the Service URN document has a long history that started
with the inital publication of draft-schulzrinne-sipping-sos-00.txt in
December 2001. Later, the SOS document was stopped in favor of the
approach described by the Service URN draft. 
 
Protocol Quality

This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson. Hannes
Tschofenig was the PROTO shepherd. Gen-ART review was provided by Mark
Allman.

Henning Schulzrinne and his group have implemented the 'sos' service URN
in their NG911 prototype (including on the VoIP client (sipc) and the LoST
server). The ECRIT working group chairs have created a webpage and setup a
mailing list  to discuss implementation specific aspects. A number of
parties expressed interest to start implementations soon. In these
implementations the Service URN draft is only one component.

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit