Subject: [Ecrit] LoST IPR disclosure details

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:47:18 -0400

In case you don't want to hunt on the PTO web site for the filing,  
here's the link and abstract:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser? 
Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch- 
bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20070026847&OS=20070026847&RS=2 
0070026847

Technique for displaying information ancillary to a location of an  
entity in a communication network

Abstract
A technique for displaying information ancillary to an entity's  
location. A request for information ancillary to the location of a  
communication unit in a communication network is generated by the  
communication unit wherein the request contains a location of the  
communication unit as well as specifies the information ancillary to  
the communication unit's location that is sought. The request is  
forwarded to an information server in the communication network which  
may be a "trusted source" meaning that the communication unit  
considers the information server a reliable (trustworthy) source of  
information. The information server receives the request and  
identifies the requested information using the location information  
contained in the request. A response (notification) containing the  
identified information is then generated by the information server  
and forwarded to the communication unit. The communication unit  
receives the notification and processes it accordingly, including  
displaying the identified information in a manner that indicates the  
requested information is available. If the requested information is  
not available, the communication unit provides a display indicating  
the information is not available.

It is interesting to note that the patent application was filed July  
31, 2006. Inventors are James Polk and Cullen Jennings.

Henning

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:45:05 -0400

On Aug 15, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> It is interesting to note that the patent application was filed  
> July 31, 2006. Inventors are James Polk and Cullen Jennings.

While I'd like to send another colorful message to this list today,  
I'm afraid this type of "interesting" is not all that comical. I  
detest IPR issues.

I believe it is a good thing that Cisco is providing this IPR under a  
fair, defensive license.  They are forced to play this silly game  
because of the nature of the law.  Still, we'd all be better off if  
there were no IPR coverage.  And given the timing of the application,  
perhaps some of the claims can be busted leaving some of the others  
in the "obvious" category.

I am a bit nonplussed with the inventors/participants, as the timing  
of the disclosure doesn't appear to meet the spirit of Section 6.2 of  
RFC 3979, possibly opening us up to the ramifications of Section 7  
(whatever those may be).

All that being said, the best thing to do is continue as planned.  I  
guess we'll know in 2 months if this will cause a derailment.

-andy